Mt! thinking about leaving

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by werbo1, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Well my bands been together for all but 3 months. I enjoy playing but we don't get anything done at our practices. All we do is play this one riff while our guitar solos and i'm sick of it. Whenever I try to change the song and add a progression or another riff they try to play it once and then forget about it. I basically have no say over what we do and no creative force to the band, even if i try to do something about. I'm to the point where i'm gonna leave but i cna' tbring myself to do it. I lov eplaying in a band, and i like the people in this one, but it seems we don't get anything done. HELP ME!!!
  2. Get a new band. Their obviously not dedicated enough to care what you think.
  3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    All my friends don't play in my band, and that includes my musician friends. The hardest part about leaving a band is endangering friendships. This seems to be the part that is hardest for you. From your post, it's obvious you're not getting anything musically from this endeavor. So it's time to ask yourself, "What is more important to me right now, the comraderie or the music?" Just because you leave the band, doesn't mean that you will lose the friendships. I have plenty of friends who I used to play in bands with, and there's no bad blood between us. Sometimes it can take a while to get over things, but strong friendships can overcome those issues.

IMO, you form a band to make music. If the band isn't doing anything musically, move on.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Depending on your schedule, you can probably start looking for another band before you throw in the towel on your present one (which, respectfully, sounds more like a beginners jam session than a band as such). Learning to keep several projects on the boil can save lots of frustrating down time - I've found that it often takes several months from starting to look for a new project to actually finding one that fits - so, if feasible, keep this one going while looking for other opportunities.

5. I know it sounds like a beginners jam session but we usually do that once we get our own songs an then just jam on them...the guitarist just solos any time he basically feels like it though when we are trying to make a new song...o well, once we're done with our firt gig i'm probably gonna go
  6. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    "Playing one riff while the guitarist solos" sounds like a beginners jam session. How are you guys going to gig if you can't get it together to work on anything (or was your initial posting a little bit exaggerated)?

7. i think i'm failing to explain it correctly. We have songs we know that are original but it takes forever to add more parts because or guitarist solos on top of the riffs only during creation of the songs. ANyways our first gig is rtocky horror show so we only have to read music - not a big deal.
  8. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Ah, right - each of your songs is a one riff wonder. Am I getting close?

Anyway, I think my advice still stands - it might be wise to look round for new opportunities before leaving this one.

9. close enough...theres barely any opportunities for me tho considering i'm 15 and don't know enough people to be at the caliber of people i want to play with...o well
  10. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Life doesn't end at sixteen... make the most of what you do have, make sure you've got time to keep your skills progressing and just keep an eye open for opportunities.

Good luck.

11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Oooooh, I see.

No, really: You're making things clearer with each post...

You guys are definately a beginner jam-band.

You're here to learn from those with more experience in life and music than you, right? start with learning definition-of-terms: the definition of 'beginner jam band' is what you've described in detail.

Now you could be a beggining BAND-band - in that case you'd be learning songs and arrangements and band management and people and stage skills and a little buisness and maybe things like that. ..Or you could be a NOT-beginner jam band: then you'd know a bunch of songs, I'd think, and you'd be able to launch into them and end them in cool, smooth, tight ways; and you'd be better with groove and improvosation, and be more intuitive about changes and what the other guys are doing or going to do, and be able to invite others over to jam with and you'd be fairly intuitive and tight with them too.

Learn ALL of the things above, plus the several other things I surely forgot and you'd be more like a BAND. It sounds to me like you'd like to be more serious and disciplined and mature than the other guys - get some other guys to play seriously with. You can do it right and not have hard feelings - besides you can still jam with them, right?

12. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    I would say this is sound advice and what its really all about. If your passion is playing, then play with people who challenge you. If you just want to party with your friends, then do that.
  13. playmybass

Mar 28, 2004
    Tucson, Az
    Im only 15, but im in a band that plays all around the state. And the rest of the members age range form 18-21. you just have to show them you are mature and dedicated enough.