Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mt First Post need advise on the Bartolinis for Slap

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ACG, Jun 3, 2005.

1. ACG

ACG

Jun 3, 2005
    Hi everyone ii my first post here.... seems to be a nice bunch of knowledgable folks.. so I will get right to my question.. I am a guitar bulder that has been getting many orders for basses.. I built a few with my crew.. I am the instrument designer and owner of the company my crew of 4 master Luthiers are the actual buiders.. I recently got an order to build a bass for a guy who ons 2 Ken Smith top of the li,ne basses... he wants the same "kinds" bass but says that his bas lacks a good slap tone... and is more a solo bass....

He wants Bartalonis... I was thinking the Bart Music man model but some one told me it was too deep.. and suggested the BC5CBC cLASSİC SOAPBAR with the bart 5.4 active eq....

Is this a good choice..?

Also I will make him a mohogany body with quilted maple top and bottom and a 7 pc neck.... can you get a good slap tone from this kinda multi laminate? Most of the good slap basses are ash yes?

any way any insite would be helpful I am trying to just do some general research here befor I start buying parts...

please feel free to email me as well

thanks

2. ACG

ACG

Jun 3, 2005
    Can some one help me?

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the stereotypical slap tone is obtained with ample bass and treble with mids cut with late model GK's a common slap amp -that's where their frequency strength is. And probably in an acoustically bright bass but definitely not in an acoustically dark bass. Easier to darken a bright bass than brighten a dark one - in general. At this point, personally I believe 90% of the acoustic tone of a bass is in the neck - but I don't know of anybody who claims to be a be build a neck to given tone. When it's done, you see what it sounds like and you make another if it's not what you had in mind.

Barts typically have at least adequate to ample bass, ample low mids, and a soft rounded top. And that's pretty much the way their MMs are. That is not really the combo for slap tone. The Barts I've had that have had more top end, lacked bottom. Although you could probably slap about anything through a GK.

I've had KS J45's, the old EMG style and the late model ones. And in my experience, I'd say mine parallels his. Good solo tones - and that's about it - solo tones don't often work well to music and there's not much demand for solo bass players.

Single coil J's and MM's mounted bridge are most common pups for slap, probably wired parallel. In my experience, most of the MM's sound very similar - especially the Alnico 5 MM's (like the Rays). The ceramics are notiecably brighter (like the SD4d). The Barts and Lane Poors really don't sound like a Ray/Ray replacment much at all but sound very much like each other.

Logic would say to go with a Jazz routing 1) given that most MM's are more inclined to sound alike and there are fewer of them 2) there have been more J shaped pups made than all the other pup dimensions put together so if you have to change pups to alter tone - you have a lot more probability of nailing the tone you want. And J's come in singles, HC singles, split coil, stacked HB. For the most part, if you can't find a J pup with a tone you like, it probably is not to be had from any other pup either.

You know, I assumed you were talking about a 4 string bass?

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

no sooner do I say as much and today I pull a bass off the wall that's been setting aside waiting it's turn. Has Bart active 8TC P and 9E bridge. Dinking with it and I throw a couple slap riffs ........... I forgot how slapping Barts really brings out the burp in them. Some guys don't like burp and it is one of those tones that gets old quick (but so does slap for that matter) - but it sure is a cool tone when it's tossed into a mix of tones tastefully.

And it seems like I've seen plenty of slappers in the past using Barts. I'd definetly call the Bart dude and see what he has to say. To my knowedge the same guy has been doing it forever it seems so he'll know what he ships to slappers.

Another thing is if the guy wants Barts than give him Barts. Otherwise it's your pumpkin that'll be in the crosshairs if he's not nuts about the tone. And if he want soaps, give him soaps. There's nothing magical about soaps - it's just a shape and can be singles, duals, split whatever. Seems EMG and Bart both frequenty simply stick one of their other pups into the soap form. I think most guys just like the looks myself.

He probably has his reasons for his request and it would be a good idea to pick his brain more as to why he said Barts and if he can be more specific. I'd also talk around the J issue without stating as much directly in a way that would make it appear it was more his idea if it came to pass - cause if you stick soaps in it, he's basically stuck with what's installed - unless you re-route and/or throw a pickgaurd down. But I would still go soaps if he shows the least reluctance to J's cause if you put J's in and he feels you convinced him to do so - you're back in the crosshairs.

5. ACG

ACG

Jun 3, 2005
    I really appreciate you taking the time to share all your experiencxe.. The bass will be finished on Sept 15th...

I will post a pic of it for you....

I hope that you like it , and once again thankyou for your insight...