1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mt. St. Helens doing cool things

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Eric Cameron, May 4, 2006.

1. So they were showing some great photos of the crater of Mt. St. Helens today, and I just thought that all y'all might want to see a couple of them:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's easier to get a sense of scale in the lower pic. That slab is over 300 feet tall, and is growing at the rate of 5-6 feet A DAY. They figure that at this rate of growth the dome will grow back to the original size of the moutain (9677 feet) in less than 40 years. In the geological time scale, that's nearly instantaneous.

Now, I'll admit that this really isn't anything OVERLY important, but it IS in my back yard, and I think it's kind of cool. Plus the pics are great.:D

Rock on
    Eric

2. Kind of reminds of when you have this monster zit appear overnight.:rolleyes:
    Seriously, though- very cool.:D

3. 5-6 feet a day... that's amazing!!!

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Get some snow on that mound, and then I'll be interested. :D

-Mike

5. Linas

Linas

Jan 6, 2005
    Chicago
    Thats really cool. is there any threat by this, even with tremmors or anything?

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Wicked cool.

7. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    The only plausible explanation is that it's a long buried alien spaceship emerging from the ground. It just makes sense.

-Nate

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Whoa! That volcano is erupting helicopters! That IS cool!

bc

9. jkritchey

jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    +1. You can see Agent Mulder in Whirlybird....:smug:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    If the weather holds up this weekend, I may put off some yardwork to take a drive down there and scope it out in person.

-Mike

11. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i'm worried about mount rainier.

when my family vacationed on it a few years ago, the whole time, every single presentation in the park said how it is due to erupt at any moment. :eek:

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I've been hearing that forever around here.

-Mike

13. And you guys up north do NOT want that to happen. Most of Seattle and Tacoma are built on lahar deposits. USGS estimates for death if there is a major eruption on Rainier are in the 100,000+ range. VERY BAD.:eek:

As for St. Helens, the amount of earthquakes have tapered off recently, even though the amount of extruded material is staying the same. Which means that the vent shaft is starting to clear, so that the magma doesn't have to break it's way free. It could still give us a big eruption, but not one nearly as devastating as the May 18th eruption. There simply isn't enough moutain left to do so much damage.:

And hey, MJ, if you are going up Sunday I might be able to join you. The photos they were showing on the local news looked incredible.

Rock on
    Eric

14. Tim Barber

Tim Barber Commercial User

Apr 28, 2003
    Serenity Valley
    Owner: Barber Music
    I set that helicopter shot as my desktop photo about an hour before finding this thread. Very cool.

Full-size version can be found here .

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Thanks for the startling pics. Volcanoes fascinate me.

Have any of you read Simon Winchester's book about the disastrous 1883 Krakatoa (actually Krakatau) eruption in Indonesia?

I also just read an amazing book about the horrendous 1903 eruption of Mont Pelee volcano on Martinque, said to be the largest volcanic explosion in the twentieth century and killed more than 26,000 people.

That particular book would probably give the most accurate depiction of the scenario if Mount Rainier were to erupt. Not pretty.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'll send you a PM if we go. That would be cool to meet a monkey pirate! I'll bring my kids. Do you bite?? :D

-Mike

17. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

oh, man! :eek:

tangential: my parents are moving to the seattle area once we sell our house in florida.

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Tell them to come to Olympia, it's all good down here. :D

So if ma and pa are coming up this way, does this mean I may finally be able to meet my Gator brother???

-Mike

19. Brad Barker

Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    probably. the earliest i'll be up that way is thanksgiving.

(and, correcting for the age difference, i'm more like your gator nephew. lol.)

20. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    That's very cool. I've backpacked around the Wonderland Trail on Mt. Rainier quite a few times and every time I've been out there, I've always paid a visit to St. Helens.

My ex-sis-in-law used to live out there and we visited shortly before, and then again after, it blew.

Awesome pics!!!

Thanks!