mtallic thwanger

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by red-hot-bassist, Jan 14, 2002.

1. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    i did a few searches but i didnt come upwith what i was looking for so here goes to all you effects buffs,
    you will have heard no doubt that in punkish guitar bands the bass can have a sortof mettallic sound, i know it is normally played with a pick, but im not sure if it just a result of downtuning or whatever, but how do you think i would go about recreating that sound in the comfort of my own home, bearing in mind my equipment, (look to sig)

thanks although i dont think ive made myself very clear
  2. I usually just use the basses eq to get that metallic sound. I have a MM and a Frenandes and i can get pretty much the same sound by just tweaking the on board eq. The MM is active the other just fiddle around with your eq on both the bass and amp. boosting mids a bit might also end you in the right strings different strings....

hope that helps

cheers mate
  3. that sound is usually a lot of highs, no mids (usually), and a pick... that is all. It can be done by anyone with any equipment.
  4. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    the closest i can get (and it aint quite what i am looking for) is by getting rid of all the lows on the nobs on my bass and playing with a pick, i was wondering if there would be any particular kind of string or effect that would enhance it or stuff

thnaks anyway guys
  5. There is an actual way to do this, and no it is not a smiley face...

It is to get a musicman stingray and play near the bridge with the bass cranked all the way and the treble and mids in the middle roughly... maybe a bit extra mid... this will do it, and is EXACTLY how they do it... There are other variants on this main sound. They are done with the p-bass mainly, but all basses can get *similar* (not same) sounds with new strings and similar techniques... It just so happens that the 'ray does it the best. It is almost astounding when you look at how many punk bassists use the stingray and p-bass..... it is like nothing else really exists. (yes I am aware that there are punk bassists that use all types, but these are predominant.)

there you go...

ps- an Ibanez atk possibly does it better than a ray simply because it is a tad more metallic sounding...
  6. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    oh right, well i'll just go and spend one and a half grand for my sex pistols covers then
  7. This topic has nothing to do with effects I'm going to send it over to misc. where hopfully it will get more responses. I hope I moved it to the right forum.
  8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

You're right Bigfeet, it has nothing to do with effects.

All you need is;

- a good USA Precision with the controls maxed,
    - stainless steel roundwounds (Rotosound Swing 66's or DR Hi Beams),
    - a pick with some backbone (I liked Hercos)
    - a high wattage head with a "smiley face" EQ running into some good speakers.

Boom. That's it. NO effects. I did it for a living in a late 70's punk band.
  9. red-hot-bassist

Sep 18, 2001
    thanks rickbass and thanks bigfeet,

i will give it a go