Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTB anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by barroso, Aug 28, 2002.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is there anyone who like these things?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

share your equipments here!!

i have an old Liyang with aftermarket Marzocchi fork. shimano altus. tyres are tioga.

i'd love to upgrade to a GT, Schwinn or specialized...

2. I have an aluminium Cannondale hardtail with a headshok, Shimano XT 8spd, Raceface cranks, Time ATAC pedals and Rock Shox suspension post. Nice bike but I really like riding my Gunnar cyclocross bike in the woods instead. My road bike is a beautiful Colnago Techos with a full Ultegra group. Both my CX and road bikes are steel. The Gunnar is Reynolds 853 and the Colnago is Columbus Nivachrome.

Sadly, I don't have the time to train so I don't race anymore!

3. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    DO YOU READ MY MIND OR WHAT?

I was about to post a thread on the EXACT same topic!

Im into dual slalom racing...just got myself a new frame and im gonna go to a trial this weekend.

my bike is currently:

Yellow hot chili hardtail frame with rock shox boxxer forks running on 6tt oil.(the oil thats already in them from box is like treacle...notably for the european trails)
    I just recently trialed an air ressure powered shimano gearchange system but it was too much hassle so now im gearless...!!
    Korg cranks and various other korg parts.....(korg are pretty reliable in my experience)...

What kinda stuff you into?....

regs...

*dissapears to find reliable gear system online*

4. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    Hey I just bought a bike.....from Walmart, it is like a Mongoose MGX duel supension, and center suspension. I use it to get around campus.

5. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i am an amateur now. i stopped racing after a motorcycle accident when i injured my right knee.

i do off road only and i ride alone, unfortunately. during august i ride in Corse. great isle for MTB.

by the way this is my dream chassis:

[​IMG]

GT Avalanche

6. Tom Crofts

Tom Crofts

Mar 15, 2001
    I've got a Peashooter (designed by Adi Bright) frame with Marzocchi Z1 QR20s. LX hollowtechs, hope titanium rear hub, all that jazz...

I used to ride dual slalom at the Bennington Marshalls track, I came 6th in county in my age group even though I missed 3 of the races because I was on holiday. I haven't raced in about a year and a half now though, too expensive, stuff always got broken and I just got annoyed with constantly having to spend money on it. So I stopped and now I pretty much solely play bass.

7. Hey! I was going to post a thread about this too!

I've got a middle of the road aluminum hardtail: Giant ATX-860, with a Marzocchi bomber fork, Deore Drivetrain, Avid SD3 brakes, Shimano 585 clipless. I'm pretty new to the sport so I didn't want to spend outrageous amounts of cash. Mountain biking is a blast! Id like to get into racing, but I need to do some work before I do that! Incidentally, I had a real good wipeout last week! I endo-ed on a real steep downhill and faceplanted into a pile of rocks. Knocked the wind out of myself, bruised a couple ribs and gave myself a very painful charlie-horse.....But I got up and rode it again anyway!
    Newfoundland has some seriously fun and technical terrain, and very few riders using it!

8. Hey barroso,

GT recently went out of business, so you might be able to get one of those frames at a very good price right now!

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    GT out of businnes?!?!? really??

GT is the highest regarded beand here together with Schwinn.

why are they out of the market?

10. Schwinn was going bankrupt as well IIRC.

11. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    is there a brand that is on good health?!?!

12. I dunno...the Trek family of bikes (Trek, Lemond, Fisher) and Cannondale are good choices plus Specialized.

13. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Oh man, riding is my life (along with bass, of course :)) Anyone here from MA ride the Wolf Pits in LW? Thats my favorite place to ride along with Plattekill in NY. Riding Boston is fun, too.

I am into the downhill/freeride scene. Currently, I have a Giant AC1 and a Kona Stuff. The AC1 has the following setup:

-Small frame
    -Marzocchi Z1 Drop-Off
    -RockShox Pro Deluxe rear shock
    -Hayes Hyrdo Discs (w/6" rotors)
    -Blackspire NS1 Chain Guide
    -Intense 2.35 DH tire (f) (w/ Intense DH tube)
    -Intense 2.70 DH tire (r) (w/ Nokian DH tube)
    -Azonic Shorty (50mm) stem
    -Azonic PDW bars
    -ODI Lock On Grips
    -Odyssey Twisted Pro flat pedals

The Kona (15" frame) is basically stock except for:

-Magura HS-33 hyrualic rim brakes
    -Odyssey South Gate flat pedals
    -Azonic DW bars.

14. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    anyone tried hope mini discs?.....im concidering using them...but they seem too good to be true.

they are supposed to last at least 4 seasons before leakage.....

hmmmmm.

Oh, and has anyone tried out the brand "the"???
    Ive tried a dual suspension frame by these guys a while back...seemed AMAZING.

If they made a hardtail id be sure to look into one, just they dont have any stockists near me.

Bikes bought pre-built from shop-chains are usually way over priced, or way underspecced and breakable.
    Theres a craze around here for bunches of 14 year olds to buy them for like £200 (cos "the bendy bits look cool") then reckon theyre the bollox and try to jump a ledge and faceplant when the bike explodes into tiny peices.
    Its good to watch ;)

Not to put you off your bike or anything. Just dont go trusting it too much. i have had bad experiences with collarbones and floors on bikes like this. :)

blaah

EDIT: yet another Q....
    Has anyone used/does anyone use a front wheel two inches larger/smaller than the rear one? This is becoming a reccuring sight down here on the trails and i was wondering if anyone found it a benefit? Does it really help enough to deal twith the hassle?....or is it really not worth looking into?...

thanx all.....