Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 21 and 24 frets

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chalie, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hi Guys,

I knew that Michael is making his standard bass as 21 frets to comfort thumping bass style(the slappers) but I wonder if you who plaied really found this adventage.
    I am considering of getting one 435 but could not decided for 21 or 24 frets.

Please share with me your experiences.

Thanks. :D

Chalie

2. Garry Goodman

Garry Goodman

Feb 26, 2003
    You really can't go wrong with a bass built by Michael Tobias.The one he made for me is almost 18 years old and it's like brand new and plays great.Although I didn't play his basses at NAMM this year,I did stop by,and they looked great as usual.I would suggest 24 frets so you have a full two octaves per string.

3. I generally have a preference for 24 frets myself. However, I have to say that the 21 frets on the MTD does seem to bring a little something extra to the slap tone. Hard to pin it down, exactly, but there seems to be just a bit more "oomph" to it. (Technical term, I know... :D )

If you're ordering directly from MTD, Michael has also been known to split the difference with a 22-fret board--if I were getting one made, I'd probably consider that.

Mike

4. If you're ordering directly from MTD, Michael has also been known to split the difference with a 22-fret board--if I were getting one made, I'd probably consider that.

Thanks for your thought.
    I am not going to order a new one as there are both of them available at the store but the sittuation is that I also looking at the Fodera bass. The Monarch Deluxe 4 is no way to compare to 435, I supposed but I am looking at Emperror 5 also so I am very messy right now.

5. You must be one of the great players.

Which bass you performed at the NAMM this year.

Chalie

6. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    After owning 2 of the 24 fret models(5/6) If I were to get another one,I'd pretty sure I would opt for the 21 fret version.The tone is fuller IMO.