Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 4 string question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Christian Houmann, Mar 13, 2006.

1. Hi Tb'ers

After hearding and seeing some MTD's at Bowlus Bass Borg GTG! I got the gas for one:help:

I play mainly 4 string and from what I understand is that all MTDs are 35 scale. Can't you get a 4 string with 34 scale?

There is a great looking 4 string at Basscentral with Mahogany body with redwood top and wenge neck and I think Ebony fretboard. Have any played this combo?

I have had a Warwick with wenge neck and wasn't so crasy about it! So do you about the same combo but with a maple neck instead of wenge?

Thanks.

-Christian

2. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think the Heirs and Kingston 4s are 34". dunno about the rest.

www.mtdbass.com

3. Yes, you can. Last time i checked, Mike was building some 34s but for special order only - call him up and ask

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I understand that all the standard 435's are, as the name implies, 35" scale instruments. It feels fine to me.

Tom.

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

+1. Tom's 435 has a wonderful, comfortable neck, and the 35 inch scale doesn't feel like an issue at all to me.

6. Thanks!

I never saw that this way:rolleyes:

-Christian

7. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    All of the MTD's that come out of Mike's shop are custom order.

On topic, I've had both a 435 and a 535 and haven't noticed much of a difference at all. Maybe I am too stupid to be missing it, but I never would have noticed a difference had I not known.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, you know Tim, the 535 has one more string. I would have thought that this would have been pretty obvious. :p

9. Tim - I meant all the American series basses, not the Korean ones.

The American series are 35" scale, but you can get 34s if u ask, i'm sure.

The Koreans are 34 four strings, 35 for 5

10. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    in reference to my first post above:

ohhhh...those MTDs. sorry, i didnt mean to offend by throwing out Kingston specs.

11. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Doh, no wonder my band said something didn't sound right! :D

Tom, annoying PM coming your way.