Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 435

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Man. That is a nice figure on that there beastie. I like it a lot, actually. Then again, I'm a huge fan of almost every MTD bass ever made. I'd snap something like that up in a second.

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Damn...Lost another one:mad:

Seriously, though, congrats! Looks like it'll be a real winner!:D

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Nice wood, Mike. Can't wait t see it when it is finished. I'm sure that you can't either.;)

5. That top is nice, but kind of wood is it made out of?
    And, I must say that, judging from the pictures, a natural finish seems like the way to go. Anyways, it looks great this far, I'd love to be the future owner of that particular bass ;) , so keep the pictures coming!
    What kind of neck/fingerboard will it be equipped with BTW?

6. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for looking. Hopefully more pics coming soon. He was cutting the neck blank last week and said it should be in finish by Thursday of this week.

The body is Ash and the top is myrtle. We looked all over the shop for one with a cool figure. We missed this one on the first go round and Mike found it later on. I love the "v" shape coming down from the nect - too bad there had to be pickups.

I'm trying to remember what Mike and I talked about concerning the neck - I think it is going to be a maple neck with an ebony fingerboard.

Since I do a lot of chords, chord melody and looping we wanted to make sure the bass had a piano like sound. Very clear, ringing notes. We really want each not in the bass chord or loop to be heard individually as well as in context. I think that the BFTS will also help in that regards.

I ordered a Ritter gig bag from the UK for the MTD, sight unseen. It will arrive tomorrow - I'll review it when I get it

Mike

7. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    I agree. This is where wood pu covers come into their own (eg F bass). Will Mr Tobias consider making them?
    I didn't know Ritter were based in the UK. Are they the compay that build the extreme basses (that FunkyC had)?

Matt

8. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    ritter basses are located in Germany.

ritter gigbags are located in the UK.

two totally different companies..back to your regularly scheduled MTD discussion. :)

PS: BOOOTYFULL!

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    I'm sure he would, but I've seen them often on Fodera's F Basses and more and I must say that I don't like the look of the wood pickupcovers. I think they make the bass look a bit like a monochrome car. (IMHO). The figure up by the horns looks like it will be killer when the bass is finished. waiting....waiting.....waiting

Mike

10. catwig1

catwig1

Mar 4, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Thanks DRC, I kinda thought that. I'm sure I would have seen a Ritter around if they were based:rolleyes: here! :)
    Whoops, Mr Dimin I forgot to say how striking your MTD looks. It will be a killer. :eek:

Matt

11. That is definately a real sweet looking bass Mike. Can't wait to see the final product. So far, i haven't seen anything made by Mike Tobias that i haven't liked, going all the way back to the original tobias', not the new ones.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Looks great, Mike. I have an Ash bodied bass with a Wenge neck and the notes ring out independently. I need to learn some new chords and voicings... they sure are purty on these basses.

Congrats.

13. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice mike! cant wait to see that sucker all built and ready to bruise. if there's any "modern" bass maker i love it's Mike's MTD line. His and Keith Roscoe's are my two all time favs. nothing rocks the funk like an MTD.

speaking of 435's, i just picked up a really kickass used one from Rudy's a couple of days ago. really really light Ash body balanced with slim wenge neck. there's a bunch of nicks in it and shows it was definitely a players piece. thankfully that reflected in the price i was given as well. a shame somebody had to give it up...

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Mike,
    Thanks for sharing the beginning photos of your new bass. It looks incredible even without stain or finish. I can't wait to see the final product. I'm sure that you can't wait either. I unfortunately never been able to play one of Mike T's basses but I've not heard one negative comment about them and all the reviews have been extremely positive.

As everyone before has said, please be so kind as to keep us up on the progress and the final delivery so that we can share, vicariously in your enjoyment.:)

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    but enough about you! :D
    really- Mike - the myrtle looks great- very elegant- that will come alive with the oil finish- a burst or nat will go great-
    listen- if its available- let me suggest wenge for the neck- i am sold on it!! i am loving the wenge on mine- i had another 635 a while back with wenge as well- - but he is doing a very smooth finish on the new necks and i highly recommend it- unless you do ebony- which he says is a dark sound- im talking to him about a fretless right now-
    about the wood pickup covers- let me quote Mike T -
    " not an option"-:rolleyes: i guess that shut me up- you better believe i asked! ;)
    you bass is gonna smoke!! and the good part is- your not gonna have to go nuts readjusting your playing to accomodate 6 strings!!- how do the seveners do it??
    i know you hate waiting!! i know you hate waiting!!- but itll be great!! congrats!!

16. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Congrats on the new 435! From the wood combo that you selected, I can tell that the bass is going to sound great. Those chords will be ringing real sweet!

By the way, nice website there!

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Adrian,

thanks for the suggestion. My Fodera had a Wenge top. It is really a unique and elegant wood. I spoke with Mike and he said:

For the solo and chordal work that I do the Maple/Rosewood is a better choice.

thanks for your suggestion

waiting....waiting....waiting....

patiently yours,

Mike

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    WOW

Mr. Tobias is the man!

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Okay, okay .... here are some more pics.

Mike
    mtd 435

20. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    man- i love it!! you must be in anticipation heaven!!- cant wait to see it finished- good for you , bro.