1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 5 Grendel $750 Shipped

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by layzboy07, Jul 18, 2007.

1. layzboy07

layzboy07

Mar 19, 2007
    I am redoing my previous post with new pics and a better description.

MTD (Michael Tobias Design) Grendel 5 String Fretted Bass

-Asymmetrical Maple Neck
    -Wenge Fretboard with zero fret
    -35" scale
    -8.5 lbs weigh
    -1 7/8" @ Nut; 3" @ last fret
    -Body: AAA Flame Maple top over select Poplar with a Cherry Red finish and Matching Headstock Face to Body
    -MTD logo done in Mother of Pearl
    -Bartolini Single Coil Pickups
    -Bartolini Pre-Amp. (Custom, look below for description)
    -All Black hardware
    - Pull-Pop out 9v battery compartment-no screw necessary!
    - Hipshot bridge
    - D-tuner
    **"MTD introduces a handcrafted line of basses manufactured under Michael Tobias' supervision in Prague. Twenty-Five years of bass building experience was drawn upon in the design and production of the new Grendel basses. The result is a bass with MTD's signature playability and sound. Grendel models include many innovative design features like MTD's exclusive bolt-on neck design that are found on MTD's hand-made US models. MTD however does not sacrifice quality for price as these models feature many custom-designed parts by Bartolini, Hipshot, and MTD. MTD Grendel basses feature an ergonomically carved body with a figured Maple top. The bolt-on neck is Eastern Hard Rock Maple with a two octave wenge fingerboard and a relieved neck heel for a "neck-through" feel. The pickups and electronics are custom-made by Bill Bartolini.

Electronics:
    The controls have been converted by Mike Lull for 3 band pre with a bypass switch for passive with a tone knob like and old fender jazz. It's cool because you can have a classic jazz sound or a more modern sound. Bartolini jazz pups and pre.

I have had this bass for only a short time, about 3 months, and it has hardly been played. Needles to say it is in great condition with everything in working order. I have decided to get rid of all my 5 string basses and just sticking with 4's. I'm not looking to trade as I have all the basses I need. The bass will come with a padded gig bag. If you have any questions just ask. I am looking to get $750 shipped in the US but will entertain reasonable offers.

Attached Files:

2. layzboy07

layzboy07

Mar 19, 2007
    Here are a couple of more pictures.
    Electronics from top to bottom:
    Stacked Volume Knobs (Top: Bridge, Bottom: Neck)
    Tone Knob (works in passive and active)
    Mids (pull up for high mids)
    Stacked Bass and Treble (Top: Treble, Bottom: Bass)
    Passive/Active Switch

Attached Files:

3. layzboy07

layzboy07

Mar 19, 2007
    I will consider trades for 4 string basses close to the value of this one. I would be willing to add some cash if I'm interested. I was thinking about Laklands (44-02), or perhaps a Fender J but let me know what you have.

4. layzboy07

layzboy07

Mar 19, 2007
    Still Looking for Trades. Price Drop to 650 Shipped.

5. mophead

mophead Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Texas Panhandle
    Obligatory question, what is the string spacing?
    Thanks.

6. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    bump for a great bass. I have one and have gone through 10 basses in the last 2 years but this one is still here. I believe the spacing is 19mm

7. cashhere

cashhere

Dec 3, 2005
    E-Town KY
    sent you a PM

8. pm sent

9. layzboy07

layzboy07

Mar 19, 2007
    Bass is Sold.

10. bassnc

bassnc

Mar 12, 2008
    Hi, My Name is Charles. I Play At A Church In Raleigh, NC. I'm In Total Agreement With You On The 4-Strings. However, Most Of The Music I Play Calls For 5-String. I Like The Sound Of Michael Tobias Basses. MTD's Preferrably, But I Have Never Owned One and I Would Like To Make An Offer Of $650.00, I Could Possibly Do more. I Can Have It For You By Next Friday, 3/21/08. I Hope To Hear From You Soon Because I Am Very Interested If In The Same Condition Of Your Pics. If You Want, You Can Email Me At Sound_Mind_Musick@yahoo.com Or Give Me A Call Anytime At 919.332.9320

-Take It Easy

11. FYI ...

12. Charles... It was nice talking with you on the phone tonight. Looks like the other interested party has backed out, so it is yours if you want it... I'll call to confirm later.

FYI to IotaNet et al., it never hurts to ask, as I had posted this bass to trade in a different thread some weeks ago, and someone in that thread had contacted me about an outright sale... After I thought about it for a while, I decided that I would. He has since changed his mind, and I was getting ready to list this up for sale again. So it never hurts to ask. Especially with the way people are constantly buying/selling/trading here on TB. Worst you could get is a no thanks.

MattO