1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD MTD 534-24 Neck-thru 34" scale Rosewood top, Pau Ferro, Big Leaf Maple body

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by scubaduba, Jan 1, 2016.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Price:
    PRICE DROP
    Strings:
    MTD 534 (34" scale) neck-thru made to look as close as possible to an original Tobias design. Not only is it amazing to look at it sounds fantastic, is extremely versatile and plays like butter. Its everything you'd expect from Mr. Tobias. The bass is in fantastic condition. Just a few very minor scuffs down by the input jack and some scratches on some of the tuners. If I missed any imperfections they would be very minor.

There are a few other 34" scale MTD's out there but only a couple that are neck thru. Here's your chance to get a modern MTD with the vibe of Mike's previous instrument builds.

• Honduran Rosewood top
    • Big leaf flamed maple body
    • Pau ferro fingerboard
    • Rosewood/maple knobs
    • 34" scale neck thru (upgrades)
    • 18mm spacing
    • Bartolini pickups
    • Bartolini preamp
    • Volume knob, pickup pan knob, treble boost/cut knob, mid boost/cut knob, bass boost/cut knob
    • Midrange 3-way frequency adjust switch
    • World logo on headstock
    • 2009 build

The bass originally had a Bartolini XTCT preamp and different Bartolini pickups but was sent to Mike Tobias to have electronics replaced closer to custom MTD spec. I will ship the original preamp and pickups if desired. Original MTD hardshell case included. Case has some scuffs but is in excellent condition otherwise.

Selling to pursue other interests. This is a killer bass for somebody who wants to jump on this opportunity.

IMG_6741.JPG
    mtd3. mtd2.
    mtd4.
    mtd1. mtd5. mtd6. mtd8. mtd7. mtd9. mtd10.

$4300 shipped CONUS with XTCT and other Bartolini pickups along for the ride or $4100 without. HUGE CRAZY PRICE DROP: $3,950 shipped (or $4,150 with original preamp and pickups along for the ride). Yes I know the price is crazy. I have a roof repair and must sell.

I might be interested in a trade arrangement that nets me cash.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
  2. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    More photos.

IMG_6743.JPG IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6739.JPG IMG_6738.JPG

Buszkock and rwider like this.
  3. thespoon

thespoon Cynically Optimistic

Beauty.

scubaduba likes this.
  4. Testing123

Testing123 Eschew obfuscation

Jan 21, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Very nice looking bass and great photos, too!

5. How much are you asking?

6. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    String spacing is 18mm. I've updated the first listing to reflect that.

7. RMacBass

RMacBass Bass Commander

Jun 2, 2003
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    Hey cool! I just bought this bass, I think from the guy who bought it from this guy! :-D

iwearpumas likes this.