1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD MTD 534 Neckthrough AND 34" Scale! **Wow! PRICE DROP**

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by scubaduba, Jan 18, 2016.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Price:
    $3600
    Strings:
    Here is a highly custom and unique MTD 534 (34" scale) neck-thru. I'm relisting this with new pictures and trade options. Not only is it amazing to look at it sounds fantastic, is extremely versatile and plays like butter. Build quality is impeccable and it is everything you'd expect from Michael Tobias. The bass is in fantastic condition. Just a few very minor scuffs down by the input jack and very minor wear some of the tuners. If I missed any imperfections they would be very minor.

If you love MTD's but want 34" scale here's your chance.

• Honduran Rosewood top
    • Big leaf flamed maple body
    • Pau ferro fingerboard
    • 34" scale neck thru
    • 18mm string spacing
    • Bartolini pickups
    • Bartolini preamp
    • Volume knob, pickup pan knob, treble boost/cut knob, mid boost/cut knob, bass boost/cut knob
    • Midrange 3-way frequency adjust switch
    • World logo on headstock

Lot's of pictures below.
    IMG_6741.JPG IMG_6742.JPG IMG_6743.JPG IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6740.JPG IMG_6739.JPG mtd1. mtd2. mtd5. mtd6. mtd4. mtd8. mtd7. mtd9.

It's pretty amazing looking, sounding and playing.
    The bass originally had a Bartolini XTCT preamp and custom Bartolini pickups designed to allow the bass to sound more like Mike's previous Tobias line. The bass was sent to Mike Tobias to have the electronics swapped for Barts more like his current MTD spec. The original preamp and pickups are available if interested. Will ship in the original MTD hardshell case included. Case has some scuffs but is in excellent condition otherwise.

Originally: $4,300 shipped CONUS (or $4,500 shipped CONUS with original preamp and pickups included). Crazy price here folks. Multiple buyers ended up not coming up with the cash so I'm making it easy. Now $3,600 shipped CONUS (or $3,850 shipped with original pickups and preamp). You read that right. Come get it while you still can!

I might be interested in a trade involving a 34" scale 5-string bass that nets me cash. Let me know what you've got to offer. Who knows. Maybe you've got something I'm interested in.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Sywannab

Sywannab Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Alameda, CA 94501
    interested in Nordy + cash?

scubaduba likes this.
  3. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I am the original owner of this bass. I can tell you it is a badass bass. Anybody that knows anything about Mike Tobias builds will already know the quality of this bass! Scubaduba is a stand up guy!

scubaduba likes this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Stunning Bump!

scubaduba likes this.
  5. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    It's crazy to me that this bass is still here...

scubaduba likes this.
  6. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    My prat and cash?

scubaduba likes this.
  7. ethikz

ethikz

Jun 16, 2015
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    Interested in a Warwick Thumb and my kidney :woot:

Beautiful bass! GLWS

scubaduba likes this.
  8. Yorkey

Yorkey

Jan 24, 2016
    Classy bass. I've seen MTD's current lineup and met those guys at NAMM. Their followers are very fond of the workmanship. I'd like to play it before considering making an offer on it though, I'm in California. Do you have any plans to travel to California, Minnesota or S.Dakota in the next month? I'll be headed to Bass Central on 4/1 to look at an Alembic and some other high end basses. Any chance we might connect?

9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I'm afraid I won't be traveling to any of those states. Sorry.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    lovely... wish I had the $$$

scubaduba likes this.
  11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So fine! Mmm.

image. image.

12. Bellbass

Bellbass Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    The most beautiful ever...My dream bass on every level. So sad that the Canadian Dollar is so weak and that all I have to trade is Status Classis II six strings...

Well, as they say, GLWTS!!!

scubaduba likes this.
  13. Got a Fender 5er listed here, check it out and LMK if interested, Thanks

14. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Lot's of tire kickers. Inquiries are rolling in. Keep them coming! Still here for the moment.

15. SodaCity bass

SodaCity bass Bartolini Artist, MTD Artist, LaBella Artist Supporting Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Blythewood, SC
    Folks!!! This bass is as close to the original Tobias that you're going to get out of an MTD!!! If I had the scratch, I'd already own the bad bass!!! There must be something in the water that's blurring people's judgments lol

Alphaman likes this.
  16. tone5bass

tone5bass

Jan 26, 2016
    SOLD. Have the cash please let know where to send it. ..Thank you