1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD 534 or 634.............Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by korybaugus, Aug 28, 2012.

1. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    I'm going to eventually buy an MTD 5 or 6 string and 35 inch scale length is a little rough on my Left hand. I'm curious if any of you have ever played a 634 or 534?

I'd really love to hear about your experience and if the shorter scale length had negative effect on the bass.

Thanks!

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I have an older Tobias 6 that's 34" scale, sounds pretty good to me.

3. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    I played a 634, to me they are a bit too big. I later switched to a Ken Smith and it was much better and now I have a 33" which is the best for me... I thought I could handle the larger scale length but my hands aren't built for that. Im sticking with 33" or lower from now on.

4. gregwatts2008

gregwatts2008 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I had Mike make me two custom 534s. I can't say enough just how much I love them. I also have two pre-Gibs.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Those are both killer. Exactly what I want.

6. gregwatts2008

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    Both are neck-thru

7. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

I've owned a 635 and 535 and they were two of the best sounding basses I've had. I didn't get along with the 35 inch scale and moved them.

So for those who've played both, how does the 34 inch scale compare to the 35 inch scale sound wise?

8. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Thanks for the replies.

Greg, your basses are GORGEOUS! Hows the B string on those?

9. gregwatts2008

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    No issues..........love them!

10. blueacid4l

blueacid4l Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Hey Greg,
    Those look great. I know you mentioned before that the Barts were custom ordered... was that because of the spacing or is there something else going on there sonically. I'm a big pre-Gibson Tobias fan and I noticed these pickups look very much like those.

11. gregwatts2008

Nov 30, 2008
    Jupiter, Florida
    I had asked Mike to make these as close to a Tobias as he "legally" could. I specifically asked for the electronics to be as close as possible to my original Tobias "#708". Each bass took approx. a year from order to delivery. The bass with Honduran Rosewood has 18 mm spacing and the Spalted Quilted Maple has 17 mm spacing.
    I get approached at almost every gig.....people inquiring about my tone.

12. Nofrettin

Nofrettin Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I have a 634 and love it. It's my second one (long story) but my favorite I've had. My first was swamp ash body, tiger myrtle top, maple neck, rosewood fingerboard, 17mm spacing. My second is black limba body, myrtle burl top, maple neck, ebony board, 17 mm. The basses were identical except for the wood choices. Oh yeah, and they both have single coils instead of the usual humbucking pickups.
    I like the limba bass, very focused, major growl when you want it to, very tight. But very heavy too. The B is awesome. Other than Dingwall's I'm sticking with 34" scale basses from now on, they just fit best under my hands.
    http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums/o578/nofrettin/?action=view&current=4f69b455.jpg

13. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    nofrettin! Your 634 rocks! I may have to order one soon!
    Thanks!

14. korybaugus

korybaugus

Sep 27, 2009
    San Francisco
    Is the 17mm spacing pretty tight?

15. Nofrettin

Nofrettin Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2010
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Thanks Kory, I like it ;)
    17mm has worked for me on it for a long time, between my old MTD and this one I've had a 17mm 6er for about 8 years, and it's so easy to play.
    These days I'm really enjoying a 19mm 5 string, but then again I've got pretty big hands. I think whatever you get used to will work, really. I wouldn't change a thing about this bass, it's perfect for me. Well, maybe some chambers in the body to make it a little lighter!