1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MTD 535 Black limba/mac ebony/wenge

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bass12, Jun 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Specs on #1567:

-black limba body
    -macassar ebony top w/ matching truss rod cover and headstock veneer
    -wenge neck/fingerboard
    -double accent line (purple/black)
    -24 frets
    -MTD "world" logo
    -9.55 lbs

I've finally decided that I'm going to stick to 21 frets on my 535s so this lovely instrument is up for sale. I've owned several MTDs and this one is right up there with the best of them.

P5182572.

P5182568.

IMG_1776_2.

This bass is in outstanding condition. Not a blemish on the wood that I'm aware of. There's only one thing that I would point out in the interest of full disclosure. Ebony is notorious for being a stubborn wood, especially when it comes to the type of winters we have up here in Quebec. The top wood on this bass moved ever so slightly during the winter, revealing the glue line down part of the centre of the top (where the two halves of the top join). I personally took the bass to Mike because I wanted the finish to be perfect, and to see what he had to say. He told me the movement of the wood was minor (only the very top part of the ebony had moved) and that it was no big deal to fix. He fixed her up as good as new and, as far as Mike is concerned there's nothing to worry about.

I'd be looking for $3000 plus half the shipping costs. The only trades I would consider would be for a 21 fret 535 (no maple fingerboards!) in similar condition. Shipping to Canada and the U.S. only.

2. Sweet looking MTD! Any sound clips?

3. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    No sound clips available at the moment. Think clear and punchy with a strong fundamental that remains when switching from fingers to thumb. Much more grand piano-like than upright piano-like in sound (if that makes any sense) - even for an MTD. Sorry - I know that description's a weak substitute for a sound clip but it's all I got! :p

4. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    If this bass sounds HALF as good as it looks it would kill. Very sweet MTD man! Bump

5. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    What an amazing combination of woods on this one!

6. This is a beautiful bass...must not hog all the MTDs... Must share the love :)

7. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm of the firm belief that this bass sounds every bit as good as it looks - and then some. :) And that black limba is as smooth to the touch as satin...

8. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Some interest but no deals sealed yet.

9. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Monday bump.

10. jpeeze

jpeeze Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Pm

11. jpeeze

jpeeze Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    pm

12. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    PMs responded to.

13. jpeeze

jpeeze Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Pm

14. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Looks as if this one's getting traded. I'll close the thread when the deal has gone through.

15. TETO BASS

TETO BASS

Apr 8, 2010
    why do you prefered 21 frets , i am thinking to buy a mtd535 flamed redwood top ash body but i dont now which to buy , 21 or 24 ???

16. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    While I don't slap a whole lot, I still do a bit on most of my gigs and for slapping I prefer the physical positioning I can get with 21 frets, as well as the feel and sound of the strings at the edge of the shorter fingerboard. My main bass has 21 frets and it feels awkward for me to switch to one with 24 frets. Also, I rarely feel the need to go up beyond the 21st fret. If you're trying to decide between the 21 and the 24 think about what kind of playing you mostly do. Are you a slapper? A soloist who likes to play a lot above the 12th fret? Someone who plays a lot of chords on the bass? Then again, a lot of my favourite slappers use 24 fret basses, so it really just comes down to personal preference (that goes for the look as well, as there is a difference in both body shapes). I'm curious as to whether or not there might also be more of an issue with neck heaviness in the 24 fret models. I've only ever played one 24 fret 535 (the one above) and it's well balanced, but I could see that the smaller body size of the 24s might be more susceptible to mild neck heaviness (depending on the wood).

17. TETO BASS

TETO BASS

Apr 8, 2010
    but the frets are more smaller 21 tha the 24 or its the same thing ??

18. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Same fret wire. :)

19. bass12

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Traded. This one's heading to the beautiful south. Thanks for all the offers, folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.