Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535, F Bass BN 5, Sadowsky neck comparison

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pistoleroace, Dec 30, 2004.

1. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Would the people who have experience with either of these basses decribe the differences between the feel of the MTD 553 or Sadowsky P/J 5 compared to the F Bass BN 5?

I have owned a F Bass BN 5 for some time now and love the neck on it, and I am looking at picking up either a MTD 535 or an American Sadowsky P/J 5 Standard. I'll take any comments you have to give on feel.

Thanks in advance!

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

All of the necks on those basses are quite playable. The MTD neck is asymmetrical however so it is a bit different than the others. I personally don't think anyone would have trouble getting around on any of them and would think other factors would be more important in your decision since they all play pretty well.

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    The neck on the Sadowsky should be a bit more chunky (less thin) than the MTD but is very playable too.

4. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've owned 3 F's, one MTD, and a bunch of Sadowsky's. My MTD smoked! I had the action super low, the profile fit my hand perfect. 2 out of 3 of my F's were also great. I bit thinner than the MTD but comfy still. I think the Sadowsky are the thicker or chunkier of the bunch. Dont get me wrong. Compared to other 5's, still fast and comfy. Sad's are all I use

Rob

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sadowsky 5 string necks are flat and wide, their just awesome. :hyper:

6. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA

I have an MTD 535 and used to have a Sadowsky RJ5. To be honest, I found the sadowsky neck to be more comfortable for me. Actually, it's probably because the instrument was 34" scale. The sadowsky is not as thin as the MTD, and the MTD is asymetrical (which is nice). I just prefer thicker necks, I guess :)

I still own the MTD, and will always own the MTD :bassist: Neck dimensions aren't everything.

7. I have two bands, rock & latin, and I play my Sadowsky JJ5 with one and my MTD 535 with the other, and I don't notice the difference anymore, even though one is 34" maple and the other 35" and wenge. They both feel really perfect in their own way. I can play each of these beautiful lightweight basses for hours, and I just don't notice the bass in my hands.

When I pick up my other 5s, I feel less comfortable, especially with narrower string spacings. After a while my fingers get tired or cramp up.

Somehow Mr Tobias & Mr Sadowsky have hit on perfect geometries for 5 strings that really work. The only other neck shape that I like as much are the ones Rick Turner puts on his 5 string basses.

However, there are lots of types of basses I've never played, including the "F".

Aloha,

Jonathan

8. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i dont own mtd or sadowsky fives but i've played em. I'm really particular about how a five feels. 1st one that ever felt good to me was a modulus. IME, on both the MTD and Sadowsky you really don't have the feeling of playing an uncomfortable instrument. Both felt extremely natural right off the bat, the sadowsky even though i havent been playing a five in a year or so. I don't think you could go wrong with either one, although they do sound quite different. Actually, MTD's sound quite different from one another depending upon what wood combinetions are used. Mike is one of a handful of builders who seems to be able to coax out the individual character of the different body, neck, and top woods.

9. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I do know that the sound will be completely different between the MTD, Sadowsky. The Sadowsky if I do go for it will be a P/J 5, in particular, this one pictured. I have always dreamed about having a MTD built since owning a Tobias Classic 5 for a few years (wishing I still had it), but this Sadowsky is drivin me nuts.

What I like about MTD - the MTD neck profile, modern sounding, Wenge neck (love Wenge), being able to select more than a Maple top (Sadowsky), and less money to get one built.

Pros of this particular Sadowsy - Can't take my eyes off this beauty, such a nice Maple top and color combo, P/J pickup combo (I've always liked the P/J combo, that's what I grew up on), and having a 34" scale 5 string, very comfy.

Customer service is very important to me and I know that both will provide it well. They both have something going for them, each going in a different direction and each I like.

Attached Files:

10. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    My F bass had narrower string spacing, had to sell it. MTD spacing is great, but I prefer an even flatter fretboard like my Grendel has and probably like a Sadowsky-don't know-haven't tried one.

11. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Actually, the F Bass, MTD and Sadowsky all have the same string spacing of 19mm (3/4").

12. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    - The F-bass and Sadowsky necks are very comfortable and easy to play. I believe both necks are finished with nitrocellulose lacquer. :meh:

- The bass you're looking at should be a winner. Go with the PJ; it's like have three good basses in one. :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:

[​IMG]

13. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I highly reccomend Sadowsky,that particular bass is an excellent example of the Sadowsky quality.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I have limited experience with Sadowsky basses but completely enjoyed the ones I've played. My MTD 535 is my most comfortable player, bar none, even with 35" scale. This is probably because I had three 35" basses for awhile, and played them a lot. My left hand can't feel the asymmetry of the neck... all I know is, it feels just right. And my right hand is always comfortable on 19mm spacing.

The only F bass I've tried is a six-string. I believe it had 19mm spacing, which was nice. But I don't have much experience with sixers so I can't comment on neck profile.

15. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    I meant the string spacing at the nut.

16. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    +1 I don't have the others, but I do have an MTD and it's amazingly comfy to play despite the wide string spacing due to the very "thin" feeling asym neck.