1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 535 for rock?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by maconbass, Jun 9, 2007.

1. I'm reasonably certain that I'm going to be purchasing an MTD 535 for the jazz/funk and Gospel music that I play but was curious if many players use them for rock. I have started playing in a Christian rock group with two heavy, loud guitars. Would the 535 tone cut through on that style of music? I appreciate any feedback on woods, etc. especially the poplar/wenge/wenge combination. Thanks for the help.

Mac

2. alexit

alexit

Feb 21, 2006
    Yes.

If you're worried about "cutting through" while playing rock, you should be looking at your amps a lot more than your bass.

3. Psychicpet

Psychicpet Guest

Mar 13, 2004
    Friend and Endorsee of Larry
    yep, roll the blend towards the neck p/up a little and boost the mids and treble a bit. Should be more than good. :)

4. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I play mine in my christian rock band. Check out myspace for a vid. Granted, mine is mahogany body, maple neck, and ebony board. Still retains that MTD flavor though.

5. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Henry Rollins' bass player played on an MTD... I think it was after Black Flag but I could be wrong

6. Yeah, Melvin Gibbs from the Rollins Band. He played mostly Warwicks, but also some MTDs.
    At the risk of getting flamed, the bassist from Hoobastank played MTDs for a while. I think he's switched to Stingrays. I only know this from reading BP. I swear. :D

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Its not what I'd call an ideal rock bass, but this is a very personal question, and there are a million kinds of "rock" and even more guitar sounds that you might be working with. You never know.

But in general MTDs are all about note articulation, not so much about a fat, driving sound.

8. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    While in The Rollins band he played Music Man and MTD Basses.

9. I saw them live in 1995 and he played a Warwick 5-string for the whole set. Maybe the Music Mans came later. I remember reading an interview with him in BP where he mentioned using MTDs as well.

10. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Inactive

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    You are correct but his main axes for many years before he was using the Warwicks were Tobias,MM and MTD.

11. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah, Melvin is the primary reason I looked into MTDs in the first place. Amazing tone in the Rollins Band days.

All these years later and I still haven't played one, but I know that one day I'll just order one. :smug:

12. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i played rock/ metal with my ash/ash/maple 535, and i never did have as much cut as i did with that bass! wasn't the most filling sound, but i would not hesitate to play on with a rock band. we did tune down pretty low (g# c# g# c# f# for one song) and the articulation of the mtd still kept me plenty forward in the mix, even with standard gauge mtd strings.

13. johnpaulbass

johnpaulbass

Nov 2, 2005
    Slovenia
    why not man !?

I play everything with my MTD and I'm always absoultely amazed with the sound.

you can't go wrong with MTD ;)

14. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

:)

15. Ok! Very well then! I guess that answers my question.

16. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I like the band and the song but don't love the bass tone. Honestly thats a perfect example of why I would not use an MTD for rock. Even though this isn't really rock, its kind of a hardcore spoken word hybrid.

I think a warwick would sound better.

No offense intended to anyone or anything. Just my opinion. :bag:

17. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Yeah, but Rollins Band do rock, therefore they are rock.

I like to keep genre names simple. :smug:

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Thanks for the clip! I hadn't seen them in a while.:cool:

19. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    OK I'll give ya that. :D

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021