MTD 535 Fret Noise: Help!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by wrongdimension, Dec 22, 2005.

1. wrongdimension

Dec 22, 2005
    I just upgraded to a MTD 535 and I am having a real problem with excess fret noise especialy when I am recording which I assume stems from having active pickups. I currently have the action set pretty low and I tend to play with the mid range set pretty high. I also play a lot of stuff using my thumb and index finger similar to the style used by classical guitar players which can make muting other strings difficult.

Cutting some of the mids does help a little but is there anything else I can do to cut down on this?

Edit: Sorry about the confusing title...what I really should have said was string vibration noise and not fret noise.
  2. Tomass

Nov 1, 2005
    how old is the the guitar, first bass had a hugely high action and it buzzed at any fret above the the 12th fret. Its neck was warped or something as the action could not be taken down. Do you mean finger picking, just try it with more bass and see how it goes.
  3. wrongdimension

Dec 22, 2005
    Its pretty new. I know the neck isnt warped and buzz isnt my problem. What happens is when I finger pick there is some vibration from other strings that bleeds heavily. Its probably just my sloppy technique but it seems the sound of my fingers moving on the fret board is really exaggerated so it sorta sounds like a constant rumbling. Maybe this is just an aspect of active bassis that I have yet to get used to....
  4. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I think, what you may be dealing with is the expected downside of having a very brite, articulate and responsive piece of wood and electronics.

Working on technique is probably the ultimate solution but in the short term getting away from round wound strings in favor of a flat or half round will kill a lot of the finger noise.

Getting rid of the over ring is all about muting technique and I don't know how you would get around that other than trying a Victor Wooten type hair scrunchy.
  5. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think the thread title is misleading, since you arent talking about fret noise, but rather string vibration noise. Definitely try to adjsust your muting technique, id suggest left hand
  6. vision

vision It's all about the groove!

Feb 25, 2005
    Ann Arbor, MI
    The MTD 535 is by far the most responsive (and revealing) bass I've ever played. Your technique has to be right on when you're playing it, because you'll hear every imperfection!

The good news is you will get used to it, and its going to make you a much better player. Your technique is going to automatically improve because you'll be hearing EVERYTHING that you're doing, and your muting, plucking, evenness between strings, etc. will all be better as you get used to the instrument.
  7. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    See the many technique threads on left and right hand muting. Generally you should use your left hand fingers to mute strings above the one you're playing, and your right hand thumb to mute the strings below the one you're playing.

If you're doing this and there's still some sympathetic ringing from other strings, it's not you - it's the bass. Which is not surprising with an MTD. Tobias' thing is finding a really resonant piece of wood and leaving it minimally finished to preserve its resonance.