MTD 535...get it away!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by neptoon, May 12, 2005.

1. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'm telling you guys...i'm just recently getting over a different kind of g.a.s. ...there have been several of you that have experienced the pain of waiting on a bass to come to you whether it was a custom or something that was just a special order or maybe it had to be sent to you from far away...well, i had to wait on this bass for over two months...and it was in my rehearsal space the whole time!!! yeah, i ordered a BOM mtd 535 from our own adrian garcia (what's up, bro!), who was great to work's got a sea foam green finished korina body with a wenge neck and's about 10 years old (serial #28) can tell this was a handmade bass...and you can definitely tell it was made my mike tobias...the sound of this thing is just nuts! i haven't used it with my band that's about 3000 miles away at the moment, but i can't imagine it getting's got a midrange from hell and a good amount of bottom with a slathering of that tobias trebley zing to, it rocks...i really don't know how to describe it other than it sounds great and feels just as good...these are really sweet basses, and i'm pretty new to the 21 fret positioning...i hardly ever play that far up the neck anyway, and even though it's a 35" scale bass, the first fret is right within reach (i am approximately 1 meter tall). awesome fiddle...thanks, adrian! this guy is a keeper...

here's a link to the ad: access-bass 535 ad
  2. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Congrats !!!
    Looks great.
    You`re making me GAS for an MTD. The problem is that I don`t have the money and I think it deserves a better player than me.
  3. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I'm glad you snagged that MTD. That thing's been tempting me ever since I first saw it!

4. huh? :eyebrow:

have fun with the bass btw
  5. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice bass my brother,look very nice,comfortable and have good spacing.
  6. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
  7. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Awesome! Congrats!!!!
  8. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll have to take your word for it :D

ya know, mike, i'm surprised it was available for so long with adrian...i think the big turnoff for most people who would own an mtd was the fact that it was a solid color...and seafoam green at that...i dig it, though :hyper:
  9. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    I really dug the seafoam green, too--makes it look a little more traditional (non-exotic, anyway), but still funky.
  10. Joe Boom

Joe Boom

Jun 25, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Don't talk like that. You make me question my ownership of a Grendel GR5. ;)
  11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    my thoughts exactly! it's a _sweet_ mtd without all of the coffee table goodness ;)

and, umm, papersen? don't worry, man...i'm probably the last person that mike wants playing a bass that he built
  12. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    YO! there it is!
    man, I am so glad you are digging it- it was one of the nicest, warm sounding MTD's I have played. As Mike Tobias put it - " it was an attempt at being more traditional " meaning the seafoam green, how fitting for you!
    hey, are those gills starting to sprout on your forearms?
    enjoy the bass, bro ! thanks for the kind words and patience and just being a pleasure to deal with . PEACE!- A.
  13. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    YO! indeed, it, thsi bass is rockin', adrian...lots...i'm really digging it and it's a tone monster...very warm was a pleasure dealing with you, man! it just sucked so bad having to wait until i got back from sea to check it out...that was hard, man...i'm tellin' ya...see ya, bro!
  14. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    and yeah, good eye ;) those are gills heheh
  15. neptoon, is there any connection between the seafoam green and the fact that you just returned from sea? Or just a coincidence? Great bass! :D
  16. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it's just a coincidence bro ;)