Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mtd (535) or F Bass(bn5)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Scott Green, Jun 9, 2002.

1. Scott Green

Scott Green

Sep 16, 2001
    Just curious what everyone would pick here and why? I have tried both and like both, anyone have some first hand experience with these?

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    out of all the high end basses ive owned my f bass bn5f is the most comfortable of all of them. it just hangs and feels right. not the slightest bit of left hand strain in the lower registers.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

IMO both are top-of-the-line instruments: one is not better than the other overall, but one might be better for you. The 535 is better for me: it plays so smoothly I can't even tell it has a 35" scale.

4. I've owned the 535, and may soon own another one. It's a great bass, though of course the different wood combinations can make a big difference in overall sound. In particular, the wenge-neck ones have a particular midrange tone that seems not to be for everyone, though I love 'em.

I've never had the pleasure of playing an F-bass, alas, but most people I know who do have raved about them. The descriptions of the tone sound more "traditional" than the typical MTD.

Both seem to be very light, comfortable instruments to play, and are top-line basses. Rough choice! I'd probably go for the MTD because I know it, but the F-bass is mighty appealing, too.

Good luck!
    Mike

5. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I've played both and owned both. Very different sounding basses, but I would have to say the F bass. I don't think I need to go into why I believe a few of you read my last posting on MTD:D

Play what work for you!!!

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have an F Bass Studio 5 and an MTD 635W. I wouldn't give either of them up, two of the best basses I've come across so far.

Buy both, they're small ;)

7. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I own both, and I am very happy with them. I won't duplicate other threads by going into detail on how each bass sounds. You can do a search of the forum and read several good descriptions on the sonic characteristics of each bass.

I will say that each of the two basses sound different. Both are extremely easy to play and are very responsive. My F Bass BN5 sounds like a Fender Jazz on steroids, while the MTD 535 has the Hi-Fi / focused low-end tone characteristic of MTDs.

I play both basses often.

In case you aren't aware of it, the F Bass BN5 has a 34.5" scale.

FYI on the woods for my basses:

F Bass: maple neck and swamp ash body

MTD: maple neck w/ wenge fretboard and swamp ash body w/ maple burl top

8. Another vote for the F Bass. They sound alive. MTD is one of the most uninspiring basses I ever played. I mean, it put out what you put in, as a great instrument should, but had no particular character, let alone a pleasant one.

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hate to be shallow,

but the MTD 535 would prolly get you a better resale, if (God forbid! ;)) you should wanna sell it later.

10. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    I wouldn't say that. MTD's sell used anywhere from 1800-2300 generally used for a 5 string asnd thats with options. So you figure you will loose $1000 or so.

An F bass sells used for 1500-1700 used. So you can figure you will loose 600-800

And I 2nd c-ba55 comment.

11. I haven't played an MTD,so I can only give you a biased opinion - but my F Bass BN6 is the best sounding/playing bass I have ever touched. It is light (~9 lbs), and plays like a dream.

I've spent a bit of time with George Furlanetto in his shop - he puts customer satisfaction at the top of his priority list. I plan to buy a few more basses from him later this year (two bn5's and a bnf5).

:DYou won't find a better bass anywhere, although there are many different high quality basses out there, and I've only heard good things about MTD's

:) Just my 2 cents (...Canadian, I guess that's 1.27 cents US!)

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    How much are F basses new? I recall seeing them new for around $3k. The retail on mine (F Bass Studio 5 with optional Ceruse finish) seems to be around $3800+. I got it for $1600 used.

As far as uninspiring goes... YMMV.

13. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    If I'm not mistaken, Fbasses sell new for 2100-2500 and maybe alittle more depending on options. But basically I think they fall in that price range New. So theres about a $800-1000 difference in price new on the two.

what does YMMV mean?

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md

15. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Well, 1600 isn't bad at all. You got it for about dealers price and maybe alittle under. So you did good.

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    A friend got the Pumpkin BN5 that was on Bunnybass for less.

17. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I played both MTDs and an F @ Bass Central, & though the MTDs were very nice, the F induced a veritable epiphany. I've never played anything like that. It was 'right.' Awe-inspiring. I couldn't think of a thing I'd change. So I bought an F.
    It's been pretty popular in the studio.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hey,

if George's work is good enuff for [​IMG], shouldnt it be good nuff for u??? :D :D :D

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    btw, brad,

how's your studio compare to the BN5? according to G's website, its supposedly more "vintage" feeling with a bigger bottom end. you diggin' that?

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    while, we're doin' the pics, here's Kenny Loggins and George... kinda freaky, no? ;)

[​IMG]