Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 or LG3005

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Jun 24, 2004.

1. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    What do you guys think? I can get either one of these. I love them both, and I'm torn. The Roscoe is so pretty...

2. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I've had both. If they're the same price, get the MTD. The Roscoe should be at least $500 cheaper. Both great basses IMO, the LG 3005 is very well suited for Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, etc.

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Does string spacing matter to you? The MTD has 19mm spacing at the bridge, and I believe the Roscoe is narrower.

4. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Ok Ken.... I'm biased! :) But I'm going with the MTD! :)

5. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Forgot to answer your question regarding string spacing. Yeah, .... It sure matters to me cuz of my hand-size and finger-length. The 535 is tops because I can still slap with a reasonable degree of dexterity. Narrower five-strings are tougher for me in that area. I guess I just love the MTD's! :)

6. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Im biased so ill say get the Roscoe. It really depends what kind of sound you are after IME they are too very different sounding basses. When i was in the market for a new bass i tried alot of MTD's and alot of Roscoe's and countless other basses and for me the Roscoe did the job the best for what i wanted.
    There are so many basses out now that if you cant find what you want soundwise then you havent looked very hard.
    As far as looks go i personally dont think you can get any "sexier" than an MTD. But dont judge a bass by its looks it is a musical instrument first and foremost.

7. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I think I'm going to go for the MTD. Maybe not the one pictured, but one like it with an ash body. This one is tulipwood, which Mike describes on his site as punch first, growl second. Ash he says is growl first, punch second.. I'm all about the growl, and I prefer wide string spacing.

That Roscoe is a rare wood combination Afzalia Burl top with Macassar fretboard. I talked to Keith Roscoe, and he has made less than 5 of these. He says the wood is too expensive for him to make any more.. That one is selling for $1850. I think I can get the MTD for about $200 more.

8. my roscoe is 19mm. not sure if he uses the same bridge for the lg series.

9. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    The LG body is smaller, so I would imagine the bridge is probably a little smaller. Maybe not..

I will say the best sounding slap bass I've played was a Roscoe LG3000. It had a Mahogany body.. Awesome tone.. Fun bass to play..

10. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    That MTD is on ebay right? For a plain top MTD, 2000 is pretty steep.

11. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Yeah. It sure is. I'm going to hold off for something with an ash body. I got some pictures of it, and it has a few dings and dents. More than I would like for $2000.00

You wouldn't happen to have any MTD's you want to get rid of?

12. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Not right off the bat. I'll keep you posted if I see some. Are you firm about a roscoe or a MTD? There is a cobal blue lg3005 on ebay that might end up being a deal.

13. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    Yeah. Of everything I've played the Roscoe's and MTD's are my favorite. I favor the MTD's a little more. I saw that Roscoe. Not too big on the blue. There was actually one a few days ago that sold for 1200 w/ buy it now. MINT. I was typing in my password to buy, and what do you know... Someone scooped it up a few seconds before I could finish.. Gotta love eBay.

14. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    The LG and SKB basses are essentially the same bass....just a difference in body size/shape. The bridges are the same, and the 19mm string spacing is an option. Just wanted to shed some light. ;)