Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD-535 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 17, 2004.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    God I love this bass! My MTD-535 is one of the most responsive basses I've ever played. I have a question though, about the high end (treble) response. It seems there a pretty big peak in the active preamp, right around 6-8 khz or so. It's driving some of my amps nuts. The bass is so dynamic that it tends to overload the amp from time to time, especially when I turn up the treble control. I can't turn it up more than midway, without causing problems at high volumes.

My question to MTD owners is: have you encountered this issue, and if so what have you done about it?

When I think about a solution, my head goes to "parametric EQ" or "notch filter". Am I on the right track?

I tried a passive treble-cut, but that doesn't seem to achieve the desired result. It cuts "all" of the treble, instead of just the peak around 6-8 kHz.

Any creative thoughts and clever suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. Wasabi1264

Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    President: MusicDojo.com
    Yeah...the treble is a bit off the charts, isn't it? You could try emailing Norm Stockton, who is an MTD endorser and is pretty picky with his tone. I think the email address is norm@normstockton.com. Check out his site...pretty cool stuff.

In my experience, I really never boosted the treble at all unless my strings were going dead. It's flat settings already had so much treble that I never felt the need to boost.

3. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    Do you play with the preamp gain pot (in the control cavity) turned all the way down? That is Michael's recommendation, and how I've played my MTDs.

4. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I know I couldn't even imagine boosting the treble on mine. I keep the treble flat or even roll it off a bit (in a pinch, preferring to keep it flat and EQ the amp). One thing I've noticed is that my MTD doesn't get along *AT ALL* with the aural enhancers on Eden or SWR amps. I didn't look at your setup, Nonsqtr, but if you're using any kind of single-knob tone sweeting, I'd try eliminating that first.

I've also found that I've had to rethink my approach to EQing my amp. Once I let go some of the mental baggage from working with other basses, the lightbulb came on above my head and the tone started to shine! ;)

In contrast, the first time I plugged the MTD into my computer and recorded using a generic EQ preset, the thing sounded absolutely phenomenal without any special tweaks. :)

5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    I seldom reach for the treble boost on mine either... unless I have very dead strings!

6. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I never touch the treble control on my MTD. I run it either with treble flat or backed off a hair. I tend to favor the bridge pick-up and boost the mids slightly (i.e. barely past the detent) with the bass boosted even less. This tends to work for me with any of the wood combos that I've tried from MTD.

7. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    wow, I'm the odd one so far. I BOOST. Yes I admit it, freely and openly.
    (It's the first step to recovery) I use an Eden WT-800, (you know, the "crap" brand?) and I use the enhance only set to 9:00 o'clock no higher ever.. I set my bass in the general range of boosted insanity and then set the gain on the amp until the clip light barely starts showing it's ugly head. That never produces a problem and like others have noted, the internal gain (on the bass itself) is probably set about mid way.

But the kind of amp you use, and internal pre-amp gain setting on your 535 factors I think. My .02

(I may boost higns to compensate for the wood combinations my bass has Ash-Maple-Maple compared to the Alder/Tulip basses)