1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD 535 rosewood on alder

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ganttbos, Oct 22, 2013.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Gold Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I am communicating with Mike T. about wood combos for a new 535 build. I have been trying as many as I can. At present I'm buying pre-owned basses one at a time, trying them and then re-selling for the same price.

I bought this one from a TBer. It's a very lightweight 535 - rosewood top on alder body with maple neck and BEM fretboard. In past for sale posts by previous owners the weight has been listed at 8 lbs 4 oz and 8 lbs 6 oz. I don't have a good scale.

I'm going to use a link to a past sale post for the excellent pics and because it contains an important disclosure about the bass. I played it on several gigs and have moved on to other wood combos. I paid a little more for it than the asking price of $3200 in this year old post

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-mtd-535-24-8-6-lb-stunner-915300-print/

but I'm going back to that price since it will enable me to cover my latest purchase (from Glenn at ABT). So $3200 + shipping CONUS.

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Cool. Did you buy the ash body/neck with figured walnut top 535 from ABT?

3. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    That's the one! It's a beast at around 10 lbs but it sounds great. The one for sale in this thread is very smooth and more traditional sounding than most I've tried. It can and will bite your head off like a good MTD if prompted but it's a beautiful and sweet lady. I can't make the walnut on ash combo be too sweet - it bites and scratches. I like it because I play entirely fingerstyle and the aggressive sound compensates. But I'm really wanting a lighter bass. The rose wood alder combo is in the running but probably blackened redwood if I go that way.

4. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Several PM's already. I have a rehearsal tonight and I'll be responding in the morning.

5. rwider

rwider Supporting Member

May 5, 2008
    Santa Cruz, Ca
    This one looks familiar and a super nice one:

9fd27976-9cfe-4a5d-b6fd-377d95ebd05a_zps85cd0b3e.

Sweet!

6. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    PM's answered - trades offers. Not interested in trades except maybe another 535.

7. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Bump

8. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    I've had 5 or 6 MTD's and the alder bodied ones sound fantastic. That's a classy looking bass my man. Good luck with the sale!

9. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hello Jason, long time no see.

10. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Gantt, I didn't realize you were on TalkBass!! Folks, this is a great seller to do business with. Do not hesitate! Has to be a killer MTD as well.

11. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Thanks for the plug, Jason.

Several MTD's on the forum - this one is the lightest at the best price!

12. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Bump

13. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Bump

14. BUMP

15. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Thanks, Jed.
    New bump.

16. hands down one of the best playing and sounding MTDs that I have ever had. Truly warm, woody and punchy. I miss this one. :bassist:

17. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Still available?

18. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    I played it last night. Ultimately it will be available when my new 535 is finished but that is months away. I'm still at the stage of email exchanges with Mike - he hasn't started the build yet.