Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 Vs. F Bass BN5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by djshawn47, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Ok, this is a question for people that have actually played both basses.

Forget about what they cost....I know alot of people start hearing things based on what a Bass costs. The MTD is the more expensive Bass, but......if they both cost the same amount, lets say ($3000.00)

Which one of these basses do you like better?(tone...and feel)

I have an MTD 535 that i think is the most beautiful bass in the world and i love the way it sounds, but i played an F bass the other day and even though it was not a pretty as my 535.............................................................Damn! it sounded good. Ive never heard a tighter B string in my life and i really like the active/passive switch and overall tone. I was really really impressed!

Anyone else want to share their thoughts or experience.

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've played several of each. I personally prefer the F bass of the two in terms of sound. Maybe the MTD just a tad more in the playability department but it's close. The MTD's sound is also going to vary much more than the F bass because of the various wood combo's they are available in. F basses tend to just be ash/maple or in a few rare cases ash/ebony (assuming we are only talking about fretted basses here). It's a tough choice but I guess it comes down to wanting a more hi fi bass (the MTD) or a more Fenderish type bass (F bass). At least that seems to be the common take on them.

3. I think that is a very good analysis.....

Basically I guess one has to ask themselve do i want the traditional fender sound or a more Hi-Fi sound.

Thanks I appreciate that insight,

any one else with thought on this????

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    if i were to chime in on this- my words might be pretty much identical to what Jared said...
    well done , my young Jedi friend....

5. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Hey, I learn from the best ;)

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I own both... an F Bass (Studio 5) and MTD (635). Neither one is going anywhere:D

The F Bass is one of the ultimate super Jazzes IMO. The MTD is a full range masterpiece. They have little in common tonally. It's all about what "you" like.

Both basses have Ash bodies, the F has a Maple neck/board, the 635 has Wenge neck/board.

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'd have to go with the Fbass!

And I'm not a dealer of either, but had alot of them both come through used!!!

8. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I just picked up a 535 today (tulipwood body, maple burl, wenge/wenge neck and my initial impression is that the MTD is a LOT livelier than the F-Bass. Also, a bit more range in the tone department, but both are GREAT!

I've had a F-Bass BN-5 for about 9 months and it really is a jazz bass on steriods but cannot get some of the tones the MTD can (but the MTD does not sound anything like the F-bass, either)

I think that I'll find that most of my playing will be done with the MTD or my Ken Lawrence Brases and that the F-Bass will be used more for having a different color. It is REALLY not about which sounds better, but more what each sounds like.

In terms of playability, I love to groove on the F-Bass, but the MTD seems a little quicker and livlier.

My opinion may change in a couple of months, but I really doubt it.

Dan K.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    you studied with Jaco??!!!!!! ;)

10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Is there anyone out there with sound clips of an MTD 635 (or 4-535)?

I'm really interested in trying to find one used, but I'd like to hear a sample of what they sound like first :)

11. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I think Basstasters.com has a few clips.

12. C'mon, you aren't going to judge a bass on sound clips.
    You've got to play them both.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  14. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I personally prefer the Fbass mainly on preamp alone. The MTD preamp just doesn't do it for me, nor did the original Tobias preamps. I find that it takes a lot of work to find the sounds you like, especially playing in a live setting. Maybe it was just the 535 that I had that was like this, but I always found myself fooling with the knobs trying to find that sound. The Fbass on the other hand was much better mainly in part to the passive tone control which I like very much. I was able to boost the three band preamp where I liked it, then I just played with the two volumes and the tone to get my sound. Maybe I would like the MTD's more if it had the passive tone like the Fbass. I'm suprised that Mike hasn't come out with something like that yet on his basses.

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Ditto!

16. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  17. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    of course, i agree- a sound clip does not tell the whole story... but you asked!! :cool:

18. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Adrian,

What bass are you playing in the Access-Bass site intro theme tune?
    I may want one! ;)

JB

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    that is an MTD Grendel, JR-- BIG BUCKS!!! ;)

20. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Most definitely, Jim.

But I want to hear clips just to get a general idea of the sounds that CAN come from the bass and see whether or not its what I'm looking for.

Waco has a very limited supply of music stores :(