Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 VS F Bass BN5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmerBass, May 14, 2003.

1. How do you compare the two basses. I know this is vey subjective.But what do you think..I am considering swapping my 535 for an F?? Any comments?? Thanks...

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Based on what I have played I would prefer an F over an MTD anyday but...it's so subjective really. I don't know how you can get a decent answer without just doing the comparison yourself.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have a BN5 I'd be willing to trade for a 535. Natural Ash, Maple board. What kind of 535 do you have?

4. I'd say if you're more of a fender tone type of a guy, F bass would do the trick, if you're into more modern sounding bass, MTD.
    This is what I found to be the general census and I agree.

Brad has 2 mighty fine examples of what Mr. F has to offer. Plus all the other Mr. A through Z's including Mr. T! :D

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i'm staying out of this, honest , I am, Jim -;)

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    come on adrian, spill the beans...just the pros if it makes ya feel better ;)

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    nah, nah. im not sayin noithin!

8. Brad I already have the trade lined up if it happens.. But thanks! I will actually do an a/b with both and see what i like best. I have just been a little bit disatisfied with the 535, I really like it ,I just dont luuve it! We already know what Adrian likes!!!lets see if he can refrain from speaking it..

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
  10. I've had two 535s and one BN5 Studio. I liked the BN5 better than one of the MTD's, but I like my present MTD better than the BN5 that I had.

11. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I agree with F-Basses sounding more like a Fender. Compared to my Brubaker(which is more of a modern hi-fi tone) the F-Bass sounds a lot more like a vintage Fender(especially passive). Smoother sounding, with more lows. It depends on what sound you are looking for.

12. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Pretty good description of both brands. I have a BN5, a Studio 5 and a 635... all very nice in their own way. I don't use the BN5 as much, I prefer the Studio.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

FWIW: I think my Modulus Quantum has modern tone. I also think my Warwick Streamer has modern tone. I've always considered my 535 (myrtle/tulipwood, wenge/wenge) to have traditional tone. With the EQ set flat it sounds closer to passive than active.

14. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Maybe Adrian doesn't know the difference...:bag:

15. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Shock!!! I'd always assumed that an MTD would sound rather like a Warwick as wenge has such a distinctive tone. Do you think this difference is down to the pickups? How do they compare acoustically?

Cheers,

Alex

16. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I do have to say that I love the F basses with the laquer finish but I don't like the F's with the oil finish. The oil finish basses sound dull and muted. They just don't have the punch associated with the Fender sound, which is what the F is going for.

17. One is American-made, the other Canadian-made. Does that affect your opinion?

One uses more common Bartolini circuitry, the other Proprietary circuitry that may be more difficult to service.

Which company would be easier to get a hold of for customer service? Which one gives you the most choices in construction (if you're going to have one built)?

Besides "tone", "look", and "feel" I thought I would toss these considerations out too.

18. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    I like them both! But I'll pick the MTD over the F. I had a similar experience with FC. My 1st MTD is much better than the last one. Sound and feel....maybe Mike makes them so special, each has its own unique sound and feel.

19. Thanks guys and Adrian too! I will chew on it!!

20. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Don't worry Hman your first MTD is in good hands!

[​IMG]