1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SOLD MTD 535 Walnut on Ash

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by ganttbos, Oct 30, 2013.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Gold Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    So, as I've said, I'm flipping MTD's, trying various wood combinations prior to finalizing an order for a new 535 from Mike.

Here is a beautiful walnut on ash, ash neck with maple board, matching headstock, purchased pre-owned from Glenn at ABT. Price is $3150 + shipping (same as I paid Glenn). It includes an aluminum bridge (installed) and a brass bridge (separate). Glenn also installed new tuners. Weight is 10 lbs.

This is pretty much the wood combo I'm leaning towards. If I get a sale commitment and can arrange purchase of another bass I'm interested in it's a done deal. But this is a tentative for sale post that depends on whether I can make it all happen. Please no trade offers.

Attached Files:

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nicde bass. I was eyeing that one too at ABT. What is it about that wood combo that does it for you?

3. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Port Allen, La
    Best price I've seen on one of these in a while. I've always wanted to give this wood combo a whirl; I've heard so much about it. Just not good time, of course. Someone will be lucky to have this one. Gantt is a top notch seller to boot.

4. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Several things. Mike had said that the ash bodies tended to scoop the mids but I don't find that at all. I find the ash bodies and necks give yield a pretty aggressive sound and I like being able to play fingerstyle without digging hard, and still cut. I also want as light a bass as possible and was considering alder for that reason. But I really like the grain in ash. Now that I've confirmed that I dig the sound of the ash body (and neck) and Mike has said that he sometimes finds relatively light ash........ + there's the chamber option. The walnut tops are beautifulm I'm into the natural wood look, and I prefer a light colored fingerboard because I'm so f%(#ing old I can't see the side marker dots on dark wood on a dark stage. :p

5. bassnote6

bassnote6

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    I know what you mean about the side dots. I put a touch of floresent glow in the dark paint on the side markers just a little dot. It works great! Love ash bodies and maple fretboards.

6. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Had two deals go almost to the wire and neither one worked out. Back on the block.

7. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    Bump for this beauty!

8. CTC564

CTC564 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2011
    Toms River,NJ
    Free bump for a looker!!!

GLWTS

9. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Every time I bump this thread (or my rosewood on alder MTD for-sale thread) I get several new PM's with trade offers or sale offers for less cash. I'm not in a hurry, and I figure you guys "know where I live" so - not closing the threads but "disappearing" for a while. Trusting that serious buyers peruse old threads :)

Thanks, GB

10. ganttbos

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    SOLD