1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale MTD 535

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by R Briere, May 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. R Briere

R Briere Bass-ically Yours Supporting Member

Price:
    $3999.95
    Strings:
    It's now official. I'll be selling a fair number of my instruments and amps as my body is rapidly falling apart while my mind becomes Sharper and Sharper. #geezersrock :) First up? A Gorgeous MTD 535 in Maple Burl. The sale includes an AS NEW Soft Case as I had an extra one, never used, sitting in the studio.

Here's a question for the admins as this is my first "Classified" post on TalkBass. ALL of my High-End stuff will be available for your Inspection at "Parkway Music" in Clifton Park, NY as opposed to having a Wagon filled with Gypsies stopping by my Studio to "check things out". With all due respect, I've done that before.....ONCE.....It didn't work out well for me.....didn't work out well at all. I don't work for or at Parkway Music. I'm their former Fender Rep and know them to be an outstanding dealer ... that's the extent of our Relationship. Is Talkbass Cool with that? :) :(

The price on this is Non-negotiable. It's a steal at $4k. so "Watchers" will sob. Wear a bib when you play it.....and kindly take VERY good care of it should it become yours. This bass means the World to me.

Why am I parting with this? I'm 67 years old and developing arthritis. It's that simple. This bass deserves to be played.....not just to be looked at. I was Mike's Artist Relations guy when he built this for me. #bassilicious.

MTD535.

MTDÆ

Fine hand made basses and guitars

Michael Tobias, Luthier

3 Lauren Court, Kingston, NY 12401, USA ph 1 845 246 0670, fax 1 845 246 1670

email: mike@mtdbass.com www: MTD

05/02/03

Dear Rich,

Thank you for selecting this bass as your new instrument.

This is an MTD535. This is the 933rd bass of my new MTD series. The serial number is 933042603.

The body is avadore with a maple burl top. The neck is wenge with a wenge fingerboard. This bass is delivered with the revolutionary Buzz Feiten Tuning system. This system will show a great improvement in tuning when playing chords and when working with a keyboard and horns. I recommend the Korg DT7, tuner which has the “Feiten Mode” built in. Tuning is normal in every way except the intonation. The tuner has the pitch offsets burned into the chip and all you need to do is follow the simple instructions in the tuner manual to achieve the proper intonation settings.

This bass is 35" scale with 21 frets. The neck and body are hand finished with an epoxy base coat and catalyzed urethane topcoat. This should make a great feeling and durable finish. Upkeep on the finish is simple. This can be done with "Butchers Wax" (follow the directions on the can) or it can be cleaned and polished with any high quality guitar polish. The fingerboard should also be oiled regularly with a good quality wood oil or mineral oil. Be sure to wipe off the excess.

The new truss rod is a true double acting rod and will adjust in both directions. It is adjustable with the 4 mm Allen wrench supplied with this package.

The strings are MTD strings gauged: 045, .065, .085, .105, and .135. They are available through your dealer.

The pick-ups and active electronics are custom made by Bill Bartolini. The controls are: master volume and a pan pot, treble, mid, bass cut and boost, with center click (from neck to bridge). The three position switch selects the mid range cut and boost point. Down is lower mids (250); center is middle (500) and up is upper mids (1000). When the mid pot is at center click, the switch has minimal effect. This eq has 2 batteries and is a +/- 9 volt system. Be especially careful not to change the batteries when the bass is plugged in.

There is great variety in the settings of the EQ. The basses can be made to sound very traditional by cutting the mids all the way at 1000 and boosting the bass and treble to 10 with the blend pot at center. To me, this is the best slap tone. Boosting the mids at 250, with bass at 10 and treble at 9-10 with the blend pot on the bridge pick up gives the early Bartolini TCT tone. This offers a very percussive finger tone. These are just suggestions. Your tone will vary depending on your rig and technique.

I hope that this bass brings you many hours of enjoyment and playing satisfaction.

Best regards,

Michael Tobias, Luthier

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
    NigelD, Hercules, Strokey and 2 others like this.
  2. xhawk5

xhawk5 Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2007
    Palm Coast, Florida
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma. I’m 54 and my hands are shot so I kind a know how you feel. Looking forward to see what else you put up for sale. droolGLWTS!

R Briere likes this.
  3. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Looks gorgeous. Since this is your first classifieds posting I'll tell you now that most potential buyers are going to want the following:

- wood specs
    - photos of the back and possibly of other parts of the bass (headstock, for example)
    - weight
    - details on the condition of the instrument
    - does price include shipping?

Best of luck with the sale!

R Briere and slamsinger like this.
  4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Hubba Hubba

5. timtyler8821

timtyler8821 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    California
    I've seen this MTD before and although I'm not a red guy, I would totally buy this bass if I had the money. It is very gorgeous and I wouldn't even care it not being a full 24 frets.

6. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Gorgeous. More pics, please!

7. NigelDimesnion

NigelDimesnion

Jan 2, 2018
    I Would love this bass but i dont have the money Im only 15 and iplay in church my bass is the not the best bass so i wish i could get this but whoever get this enjoy

R Briere likes this.
  8. timtyler8821

timtyler8821 Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    California
    Yea, this bass looks like it has some serious tone to it for sure. It would compliment mymy 635 lovely, but as stated above no money for it. I will get a 535 some day soon though ✌

9. R Briere

SOLD!!

10. R Briere

Nigel......Keep one thing in Mind. Many try to impress others with the Kind of Bass they own.....or how Many Basses they Own. Truth is, NONE of that Matters. While your Bass might not be the "Best Bass", it's the Best Bass for You....and that's all that really matters. If I might offer ONE bit of advice it would be this: Don't ever Sell or Trade in your "First Bass" .....because you'll spend the rest of your Life trying to get it back again. Here I am with my First Bass. It cost me $112. It's the Best Bass I've ever owned....and I let it get away. img006.

Jabba the bass likes this.