1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD 635-24 on the way

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hasbeen, Aug 13, 2007.

1. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    Vice President, KMC Music. Warwick U.S. distribution, Ampeg distribution
    Well.....

after lots of teeth gnashing over my Ken Smith BSTRQTLMH-Elite-Imperial-G, I've ordered this.

It will be here tomorrow.

2. sweeeeet!!!!

3. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Sweet. Specs? On a side note, I'm noticing a lot of pics of new 635's that seem to have a slightly longer upper horn compared to my 635 that is a few years old. Am I just seeing things or is it really longer?

4. jazzy grille

jazzy grille - Arrogant Bastard Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    SWEET!

However, I cant be happy for you unless I know what its specs are. :p

psssst. the MTD will eat the Smith for breakfast.

5. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida

Looks the same to me.

6. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    yes...specs:

Tulip wood body
    Myrtle top
    Rswd board
    Maple neck

I was speaking with Michael for quite a bit on different wood options for the tone I'm after.....he suggested this mix and this bass in particular.

I bought it from Glenn (Austin Bass Traders)

Keep your fingers crossed for me: I'm not used to buying basses that I haven't played....and I'm pretty fussy about fit and finish...nice clean routes etc.

7. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

Have you played a Smith much? I posted a thread a while back looking for people with good experience on both. Who knows, I may keep the Smith....use it for straight ahead finger style and use the MTD for slap and chords.

We'll have to see.

8. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Mike knows what he is talking about, I think you can trust his judgment.

LOL, the LAST thing you will ever have to worry about with an MTD is the fit and finish, they dont call mike a master for nothing (and his crew is just like him). I am sure you will love it.

Now, I just have to wait for mine to show up. T-minus 5 (+/-)months. :( :scowl: :D ;)

9. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
    Congrats! Does that mean you're unloading the KS sixer? :hyper:

10. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Hmm.. I don't know. It really looks like the upper horn shape has gotten slightly longer on the new 635's, or the profile is different some how.. Here is Hasbeen's and mine for comparision. Maybe I'm just seeing things.

*BTW, sorry for the slight derail Hasbeen...

11. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Yeah, I have to say keep the smith if you are a finger style guru. While the MTD should for the most part sound great while playing finger style the slap is out of this world (depending on your likes). A Smith does have that special something with fingerstyle. On the other hand I find playing slap on a smith sounds "thin" (IMHO, of course.).

This wood combo should sound exactly like Andrew Gouche's MTD, (IIRC, his main MTD has those wood specs).

12. jazzy grille

Aug 15, 2006
    Sarasota, Florida
    Either the neck on yours is set deeper in the body, or it is bigger.

Your horn stops at the 12th fret and his stops at the 13th.

13. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004
    great.....thanks for the feedback! Yes, I think you're right...the slap on the Smith sounds quite thin......and honky!

Indeed...Mike and Glenn both said this is the unofficial "Gouche Special".

14. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

I might. We'll have to see how the MTD does with "fat finger" tone vs. the Smith.

Also, I want to see how the MTD records and sits in the mix live.

15. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Cameras distort somewhat, sometimes a lot, depending on the quality of the lens and especially proximity to the edge; lenses on less expensive cameras always distort more toward the edge of the photo. Being a photographer, I can say that the bass on the left is almost vertical, whereas the one on the right is tilted back somewhat, leading to distortions. If you go by the pictures alone, it looks like the bridge and everything is in a different place, which I'm sure it's not.

Cheers,
    Cameron

16. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    and there there!

Give it some time; they are worth the effort.

Congrats for seeing the light,
    Cameron

17. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Yes, but I'm specifically talking about the upper horn. Technically, if we are talking about viewing angles, shouldn' the upper horn on mine look longer than the upper horn on his? And actually, I think the picture on the left shows the bass leaning forward a bit or photographed slightly from above, where as my pic was photographed pretty much head on. Oh well, I don't know. I was just wondering if Mike updated the body design slightly. Comparing mine to the number of other new 635's that have popped up lately, they just look slightly different than mine. Again, sorry for the derail.

18. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    to where the top horn meets the body. Also, look closely at the knobs; on one bass they are definitely at an angle, on the other they are straight from the top down. This creates distortions throughout the body of the instrument. To minimize camera and lense distortion, have the back of the camera completely perpendicular to the subject (bass); this will minimize them, but not get rid of them, especially in zoom lenses and less expensive lenses of all types, and even in expensive ones if the are wide angle lenses, which inherently have more distortion than normal and telephoto lenses. It also varies a lot from brand to brand, and with extremes of zoom range. That's one of the reasons why I hate zoom lenses, and try to use exclusively single focal length lenses.

I'll try to match the angles on these basses in photoshop and repost them; there is very slight variations in his instruments, but nowhere NEAR what these photos are making them out to be.

I'm a geek, I know...

Cameron

19. hasbeen

hasbeen Commercial User

Sep 23, 2004

what are the specs. for yours??....and what tones do you get?

20. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    Mine has a Mahogony body, Burl Maple top, Maple neck, and rosewood fretboard. It gets a very jazz bass like tone, but a more modern. It is the most "present" bass I've ever owned.