1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

SOLD MTD 735-24 7 string bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Dan Robbins, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a USA made MTD seven string bass. It was originally built for Rhonda Smith (bassist for Prince),but I purchased it in 2001.
    The sound is really phenomenal, honestly the best sounding bass I’ve ever heard, but it’s a little too large for my small hands. I have kept it for years without much play time because it really does sound so phenomenal. It has this gorgeous punch with a velvety rasp that is just stunning by itself or in a mix.
    The body is made of poplar, the top wood is curly maple, and the neck and fingerboard are wenge. This is my favorite wood combo of all the MTD’s I’ve ever tried. Incredible punch and articulation, as well as a gorgeous tone.
    I had a thinner nut made, and I also installed a slightly narrower bridge. I am including the original nut and original bridge. This bass has been lovingly kept in a smoke free home studio, and has only been out on a few dozen gigs at most.
    The creative play possible on this bass is just unbelievable. I honestly can’t imagine a better sounding instrument, and have never heard one, but I need to face the fact that I’m just not playing it. The action is low and the bass is incredibly easy to play. The neck was carved ultra slim front to back for Rhonda and with the compound radius, it really just melts into your left hand. Amazingly playable for a seven string bass.

35” scale
    Custom electronics and pick ups from Bill Bartolini
    Controls are Volume/Blend/Bass/Mid/Treble
    The mids are selectable at 1000/500/250 Hz with a three way switch.
    Buzz Feiten tuning system for precise intonation
    Mother of pearl front position markers added by Mike Tobias
    9.4 lbs (!) Very lightweight!!!

It is also listed on Reverb.com
    Here is a video of it in action: old strings but still sounds great! eRlvpxBSQ2iqCnkkUfh3sw.jpg DPdNS7GbSwWVzd%ISL+ckA.jpg rF5mGBmQRmKKKg6alVxpIA.jpg dAWcCfnpTXO+dLDR7uv6qA.jpg Jj6l0nAjRP2eJLlzWKwz1g.jpg 5qwEB%q2QrCvX2QkWUaWxQ.jpg E5o8JiGVRQW5fBPgM8s1Ig.jpg 5jeNHEkvSze2N6VNN1uR6w.jpg zpZ+mEQ5TaiOHBRXCy+jrA.jpg ie8hNStYTdGqFhFVrgB0qw.jpg vXE3Zyy%Say39AfoHsfE5w.jpg gJecwh%tS1injyhUDzgQuw.jpg 9C1qW1OvQxO7gC87Dfilcw.jpg oSOGXHbhQJaPhjZejpNf%g.jpg kTVGhHanRGKQ8LU2F+KxUw.jpg zy39fbH5S8qPaFoInMpL4w.jpg Df0jFjQxR06peUTVSoo1nQ.jpg LoXabAadT7KHN6HyDzuA0g.jpg %iiQFMlNT++HpxdzN8%EoQ.jpg wYIf0iCESI6yy1wuF7tIag.jpg Vlq+BjzITdazZVWMHq1p9Q.jpg aee+ELVsS96RbLC7cBX2Ig.jpg z9u7AqfYTeatcilx%HQyUQ.jpg t6bl0lKkSSGyOZ3HfJQtbg.jpg UT4ihHNxTPqN7DXuRVFNGQ.jpg 0G683SSzS7WBDO19pESUCw.jpg Q9k8JAjdRBixiZklaRKTZw.jpg EoxoCyEpSiSJ0L1Lo%dkfQ.jpg D1SNE3ciQpyeziypFCZljQ.jpg WHQUnnY8QyacTEh51VFsRg.jpg Atk5XF5nTQiIbguwNeoVAA.jpg

2. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    I played this bass when Michael brought it to NAMM (Jan. 2001). It made a big impression on me and it has stayed in my mind ever since. In fact, Victor Bailey was in the booth admiring it at the same time that I was. I would have walked away with it, but I had just received a 635 that I waited almost a year for. Another factoid about the bass: the purple tint in the finish was inspired by Rhonda's association with Prince in that period. It is by far the easiest playing 7-string I've ever come across, and it indeed sounded amazing. Some of the MTD's with wenge necks can be a bit unforgiving, but this one played like butter. Good luck with the sale, and whoever ends up with this beautiful bass will be very happy!

Dan Robbins likes this.
  3. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    wow, that’s really amazing! Thank you for that story; that is so cool. You’re not making it easy for me to let it go. It really sounds just phenomenal. Truly the best sounding instrument I’ve ever heard. Those strings are years old and it still just sings… And really does play like butter. Wow, I am blown away that you met this bass 19 years ago!!!

ad9000 likes this.
  4. ad9000

ad9000 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2004
    Leucadia, CA
    19 years?? Ok, now I feel old(er). Yeah, in fact I think I actually had dreams about that bass at some point. If my m.o. hadn't veered away from 7-strings in the ensuing years I would jump on the sale, but.. we evolve and change, sometimes in the direction of using less strings ; ) Take care, and I hope you sell it to someone who will really appreciate it.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  5. There's no way I could afford this bass right now, but I will tell you I watched the whole demo. You're right, it IS a monster bass, but the player is too!

Dan Robbins and mikezimmerman like this.
  6. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Thanks man. I appreciate that very much. And I know there are monsters everywhere!

BioWeapon likes this.
  7. RHA III

RHA III

Jul 22, 2012
    Da U P eh!
    WOW! That video is worth $4400... great playing.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  8. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Haha, thank you so much!!!
    Please subscribe to my YouTube channel... DanRobbinsBass

9. bassnote6

bassnote6 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    You mentioned original bridge. What's the difference between the 2. Thank you
    Great playing btw.

Dan Robbins likes this.
  10. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    17mm, vs 16mm

and Thank you!

it just sold on Reverb...

please subscribe to my YouTube channel, DanRobbinsBass

11. bassnote6

bassnote6 Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2002
    SYRACUSE NEW YORK
    Endorsing Artist:MTD Basses
    Congrats

Dan Robbins likes this.
  12. Too bad I didn't win the lottery in time :D I've subbed, I like your take on Bernie's Tune!

Dan Robbins likes this.
  13. Dan Robbins

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    Thanks man! That's a really fun song...And thanks for subscribing...I plan to put out a lot more instructional and performance videos. Peace...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 15, 2021