Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD American Series

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaveTomasi, Oct 18, 2000.

1. DaveTomasi

DaveTomasi Gold Supporting Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I'm awaiting the arrival of a new MTD635. I'm looking for input (opinions on tone, playability etc.) from anyone who has any experience with any of the MTD American Series basses.

2. dan a

dan a

Oct 6, 2000
    Dave, I have an older Tobias 5 I really like. I don't
    have very much eperience (the letter after z does not work on this keyboard) with MTD. I am also looking
    into buying a 6 string in 2001. MTD is at the top of my
    list. Please post a review after you get to know your
    new friend.
    Dan

3. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Dan,

Thanks. I'll let you know when I get it and spend some quality time with it.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Mike had a very nice fretless, piezo only, six at Bass Day 2000. The Lightwave fretless 5 wasn't too shabby either.

5. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Kong,

The bass will have an Avadore body with a picklewood stain. The neck is maple with a rosewood fretboard. Mike says that it will ship in 10 days. I hope the wait doesn't kill me. :D

6. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Kong,

My understanding from Mike is that picklewood is a type of white wash wood stain. Mike says that this bass is a twin of a bass that he made for Rhonda Smith. I'll try to post pictures when it gets here.

7. I have a 535 and absolutely love it!!! I bought it at NAMM last year after trying lots of other basses and noodling with it for only about a minute. It's an awesome bass. The tone is just killer.

Mine's a little bit of a strange combination of woods, and I haven't seen him do many this way. However, lots that have the popular combo of tulipwood and the wenge neck/fingerboard really love the sound of mine, which is slightly more "open" and it's very warm and punchy.

The body is mahogany, with a maple top...It's not really quilt and not really burl...kind of between the two. The neck is maple (not figured), and the fingerboard is ebony.

It's just been a fantastic bass. It's very comfortable to play, and it records really well. On my band's upcoming CD, I'm recording direct to the desk with no effects. If you want to hear the tone, go to http://www.mp3.com/approachingviolet, and click on either "Kingdom" or "40 Days".

In my band live, I play it thru an Eden Nemesis combo, but I'm considering an iAmp or something like that. I've also been playing with a Bass POD, but haven't gotten a good live sound out of it yet.

In church, where we have an "ampless" setup (and soon to have in-ears), I plug the bass directly into a Countryman DI, and the bass sound rocks!!!

The EQ is just awesome in its versatility. That mid frequency switch totally can change the character of the bass. The two main settings I use are completely flat, and with the mid selector in the upper position with the mids cut. This gives more of a traditional tone, which I love.

I dinged the bass up a bit at Victor Wooten's bass camp, which broke my heart, so right now Mike is fixing the dents. I have no idea how he's going to do it...probably some type of magic or alchemy. It's been gone since Monday, and I miss it terribly! I'll have it back Wednesday, and just cant wait to have it straight back from the master!

Any other questions, just let me know.

--Len

8. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Hey Len. Do you remember a fellow by the name of John
    Yates. He was at Vic's bass camp too. I work with John.
    I work for a company that has about 75 people at the
    plant I work at(we have two plants). We have 4 bass players
    there. About 5 (wannabe guitar players) assorted Mandolin
    and Banjo players. Anyway John said he had a great time and had a bunch of fantastic pics. I hope Vic has another
    one. It really sounds like everyone had a great
    time.
    Dan

9. Dan...

I might remember him. What's he look like? A lot of times, I couldn't remember folks' names, but recognize them.

I believe Vic will have another camp. I know they're working on it...trying to figure out how to do it a second time...especially since EVERYONE who went to this one wants to come back!

It was an amazing experience, as I'm sure your friend will tell you, and I really still miss it. My playing has encountered numerous breakthroughs since I've returned home.

--Len

10. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Hey Len,

I checked out your material on mp3 and it is excellent. Beautiful vocal tracks and the bass is very smooth and clean. So Mike is repairing your bass right now? He just finished mine, and is supposed to ship it early next week. I'm getting real anxious here! Thanks for the info and let me know when you have more material up on mp3.

11. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    Len, John is in his late 40's, gray and bald on top.
    Probably had a hat on most of the time.
    He is kind of soft spoken. He was sitting beside the guy
    that fell on the ground "in tears" when he won one of
    Vic's basses. My main bass is back in NYC having
    some repairs done. Its been two weeks. I hope to have it
    back on monday.
    Dan

12. Dave...

Thanks for listening to the songs! We won't be going back to the studio til January...this guy is very busy. It's been a pain, because all the material for the new album is written. We're just waiting for some open days.

You're going to love your MTD. I played a 635 and it was VERY comfortable. I've been considering going to a 6...I really have gotten into the idea of comping chords and such.

--Len

13. I remember John. I believe he's going to be shown in the documentary they were filming about the Wooten Brothers at the camp. At least they took footage of him. Everyone got to jam with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, plus JD Blair and the Wooten brothers, so it was quite an experience.

--Len

14. Bass7755

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    John told me he came up with some crazy stuff he pulled
    out of his a** at the last minute at the jam. He said it got a good response. He is really a guitar player...or used to be. If you see John again don't tell him I said he
    was a guitar player. I am trying to sell him my Lakland.
    I need some cash to so I can order a MTD 635 in 2001.
    Dan

15. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I heard from Mike Tobias yesterday. I should receive my bass by Friday. Hopefully, we (the bass & I) will spend a secluded weekend together. The wife is already planning a mega shopping trip. :eek: :D

16. Wonderful, Dave! I think you and your wife were wise. Make sure you find yourself a good drummer, or at least a drum machine, and a good amp and feel how punchy that bass is!

Mine will also be back on Friday. Boy, did I miss it! I'm glad I could take care of the little dings, dents, etc., now, and not worry about them any more. My timing was great. I had to do two rehearsals with my entry level 4 string, but I survived.

Welcome to the club! I'm deliriously happy with my MTD, and I'm sure you will be, too. Make sure you post a pic!

--Len

17. My baby is back!!! Woo hoo! Mike did a great job fixing the dents. If you didn't know where they were in the first place, you'd never see them. Well, you really don't anyway...he did a great job.

Also, the setup is excellent. So now, the bass is in really good shape. Of course, I'm now getting interested in a 6. I'm thinking about an MTD, but also going to consider getting an F Bass. The 6 looks really good! However, I'm not going to do something stupid like sell my MTD!

--Len

18. DaveTomasi

Dec 15, 1999
    Baltimore, Maryland
    I received the MTD 635 last Friday. I think I'm in love! This bass plays like a dream and the pallette of sounds that I have been able to coax out of it seem limitless. Needless to say, I have spent considerable time with it. Michael Tobias is truly a master craftsman. It is one beautiful instrument. As a bonus, it weighs only 9 pounds. Not bad for a 6 string. Ok. I've said enough for now. I thinks it's time to play with the new kid again. Thanks for all of the responses.

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

So you finally got it, Dave. Congratulations and enjoy!

If you have access to a digital camera or a scanner, you ought to post a couple of pictures for us to drool over. :)