Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mtd and other 5 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Aenema, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    well ive yet to own a 5 string bass... so i think its time. my local music store has had a bunch of mtds on clearence for a long time. im surprised no one swooped em yet. i love the grendels but i dunno if i wanna spend that much on a 5 yet.... they got some kingstons and heirs. :D any other 5 stringers as good as these for the price?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    For the price, no.

3. What's the price?

4. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    for a bran new mtd k5.... 225!!!! i swooped one. theres 2 5's and a 4 fretless left. :D wow this thing sounds as good as an american jazz! with a traded top end for some extra low of course. nice and growly, puncy, versitile. not exactly a cirrus, but for the $$$..... holy @#$%!!! i thought about swoopin 2! :p

5. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    i've got a grendel five string, one of the first produced after mike took over, and i got it for a song. that said, after gigging w/ it this weekend, i wouldn't trade it for the world, and have been casually looking for another.

its a terribly versatile bass, and i'm a tweaker. its knocked my stingray out of the bass rotation as of late, warmer tone fingerstyle and tight bright slap tone. really playable, the neck is so easy on my hands.

i can't say enough good things about the grendel. what's the price?

6. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    all the grendels are gone. just k5's and a fretless 4 left. all for 225 each.

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Just picked up a Kingston 5 (with Rosewood fingerboard) for $375.00 yesterday and I LOVE it! For the money, none better. And I love the necks on those things - so friggin' easy to play!

8. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Where did you get these amazing deals?

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    For real! Help a brother out! ;)

10. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    marshall music in east lansing, mi. theyve had em on clearance forever. i about !@#$ bricks when the manager said i could have any of em for 225.... these are bran new basses folks. they have a black and red k5 left. the k4 fretless is black. i got the tobacco burst. wasnt it extra for that color as well? these would be outstanding beginner basses. even for an expert they wont disappoint! your right planet, the necks are amazing. it feels as good as my cirrus. just so natural. i still cant believe it..... i feel like a thief!

11. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Marshall Music is where I bought my Kingston, unfortunately for considerably more than 225 USD.

12. Eric_J

Eric_J Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Flower Mound, TX. USA
    Thanks, got the black one.

13. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    If you don't mind me asking: Around how much did you get the grendal for and where? I've always been curious about these basses but can't seem to find them anywhere. If you don't like to give out the amount you spent on a bass I understand though.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    alx564- you have mail- A.

15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Kong- what color did you go with?

16. Aenema

Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    Michigan
    man those grendels are sexy... they play and sound as good as they look too. ;) i wish i woulda swooped one. the k5 will be my groove tool. my cirrus is just too punchy and aggressive to sit back with a smooth groove. man this bass is very different. ive never owned a dark toned bass. it grooves like woah. has tons of low end and just enough growl to it. the low b is the kewlest thing.... this is my first 5 string so i keep playin the B. :p

17. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    got it used from a guy, traded a mim fretless jazz and some cash. they're a bit rare, one on ebay recently.

18. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I believe that Basscentral still has 1 check there website.I believe that now,the Korean made Saratoga is suppose to take the place of the grendal but the way the U.S.and Korea relations are going at this point I wonder if Mike may have to look somewhere else to keep this inexspensive line of basses going.

19. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I don't think that the Saratoga is being made in North Korea.