1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Artist 5 pickup upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SKG1983, Oct 21, 2010.

1. SKG1983

SKG1983

Dec 24, 2007
    Spartanburg SC
    Manager of Case Brothers Pianos
    Good afternoon folks,
    I have an MTD Artist 5 that I already installed a Bartolini 2.5 a/p preamp in with a series/single coil/parallel switch. Great improvement - looking for experiences with pickup upgrades. What do you like and why?
    Steve

2. Although I sold the bass, I fitted an AERO M-series pickup in mine, and it was worlds better than oem. Deeper and more shimmer than oem. With a pre, it would be awesome. These are custom and somewhat spendy ($200), but if using a pre it will be configured to optimize and you will have coil tap options as well.

www.aeroinstrument.com HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Also, are the Nordy MM5.4 (?) pups. no experience with those. But they're cheap. Folks seem to like 'em. In my J basses, not as deep as Aeros. I like a big round articulate low end and am willing to pay $50 more. YMMV.