1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Bartolini opinion

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DRay521, Aug 26, 2007.

1. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    I've got an MTD 435, serial #81, that I just picked up from TB'er mrcircle (great guy, BTW). I love the sound of the bass, which was made in '96, but the output is very low. Apparently, it's just the fact that the earlier Bartolini's Mike used had a lower output than the modern ones. I just wanted some more opinions as to whether or not I should send the bass to Michael Tobias and have him replace the older pickups and preamp for a higher output version, or just keep it as is and crank the gain on my amp, which does the trick also. Looking for fellow TB'er advice. Thanks in advance.

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Inside the control cavity there's a mini pot (trim) for the gain... just turn it up!

M

3. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Ah, sorry, should have mentioned that the output switch is on maximum. Still low output.

4. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I don't see why turning the gain up on your preamp is an issue. Should still sound great.

5. Something doesn't sound right there. Give Mr. T a call or send an email. He's great about responding to ?'s.

6. yeah, email mike. he will help you out.