MTD Basses-U.S. and Czek made

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FunkFlo-Mofo, Mar 26, 2002.

1. FunkFlo-Mofo

Jun 22, 2001
    I've been looking at MTD basses for a while, and I was just wondering how you all feel about them. How do they compare to U.S. Spectors, or Laklands, or Modulus basses? I am intrigued by the
    w i d e string spacing, the neat finishes, and rave reviews for the lower priced Kingston series (which I didn't like).
  2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado

What was it about the Kingston that you didn't like?
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I love the MTD 535's that I've played. The feel is quite different than my Spector, but in fairness, my Spector's different than newer Spectors I've tried.

The neck on the MTD is tapered so that it's actually thicker on the "B" string side than it is on the "G" string side. It makes for one of the most comfortable 5 string basses I've ever played.

The tone is very versatile, too! It's got Bart soapbars with a 3 band eq and a mid-selector switch that selects frequencies at about 250 Hz, 500 Hz, and 800 Hz.

One thing to mention, however, is that Mike Tobias builds his basses with seemingly endless combinations of woods, which has a dramatic impact on the tone. Thus, it's not too hard to imagine that of the several I've picked up and played (about a dozen), no two sounded alike.

Overall, though, they are among the best built basses I've ever encountered. In fact, an MTD 535 is on my short list (Elrick is the other).:D
  4. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I can only compare a 4-string Beast (Czech-made) to a Kingston (Korean). I found them very similar in feel but different in sound. I attributed this mostly to the pickup config - a single passive MM pickup is not going to sound like a pair of Bartolini J single coils. I liked the Beast better but a lot of that has to do with the sound (more depth from the neck J pickup than from the MM pickup). I have an impression that I liked the feel of the Beast better as well but I have the advantage of having owned a few (3) of them and only having tried a Kingston in a store for a few minutes.

I haven't had the pleasure of trying any US MTDs (or Laklands or Moduli either). I did have a Beast at the same time as a Musicman Stingray (and some G&Ls). I would put the Beast construction (neck feel, general fit-and-finish) on par with the MM but the hardware was a bit lacking in comparison. I don't think the Bartolini J pickups are lesser than anything else out there and I preferred the sound of the Beast (probably a personal preference on J pickups vs. a single MM pickup).
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Pardon my nitpicketyness, but the MTD spacing is not "wide", it is "normal". Ibanezes and Spectors and such have "narrow" spacing. Thank you for listening,
    The Spacing Police :)

But seriously: I've loved the 535s I've played, and same goes for the Kingstons. As mentioned above they have different tones due to different pups/electronics, but both are very lively and resonant when played unamplified.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    US MTD and Elrick? Hmmm...

Got 'em, got 'em.

Guess that makes me a snob ;)
  7. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

I know I keep asking this, as I still have yet to come across an Elrick, but which do you like better? Do they compare at all? Are they interchangeable? Brother can you spare a dime?

Brad, I no longer consider you and I friends:mad:

of course I'm just kidding
  8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    And you know I had to tweak you on this one;)

My MTD 635 is fretted, the Elrick is a hybrid fretless so they have very little in common other than they both do what they do amazingly well. My Zon fretless is more versatile but for the biggest sound, especially the massive B, the Elrick is a monster. The MTD just allows whatever pops in my head to come out... the only impediment is me. Effortless.

As of now I haven't played a fretless MTD nor a fretted Elrick other than the NJS I had briefly, which was very nice. I'd love to get my hands on an upper brackets Elrick to see how it stacks up. From what I've seen so far they're top notch.

Can't go wrong either way... and for anyone who thinks Barts can't sound aggressive, check out a US MTD.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the feedback. You WILL provide us with feedback regarding more similar models of the two basses, won't you?;)

I'm supposedly getting a call from Rob Elrick this week, though it looks like it may not happen now...he's got a bass he's supposed to ship to Electric City Music, but was going to let me try it in Chicago prior to shipping.