Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD beast 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimaera1982, Dec 6, 2004.

1. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Any one has any experience with this bass? Its the czech one, some one i know is selling for 650 USD ? Any thoughts about this bass? Ill be trying it out soon,...

2. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

The Beast is about the only J-style bass I've ever really liked. I've had several. Poplar body, maple neck, wenge or maple fretboard, decent hardware and Bartolini single coil pickups. Nut width is 1-5/8".

When they were discontinued the distributer sold the remaining stock direct for $450 and I've not paid more than that for one. Personally I think $650 is quite high, I'm not sure I'd even pay that much for the Grendel (active version with better hardware).

3. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Ok so am guessing that the guy selling me the bass is trying to earn sum cash,... but MTDs are rare sight in Singapore, so tts prob the reason hes marking up the price. How would u describe the sound of the MTD beast, smooth jazz tone? Im a bit wary of the 35' neck, coz yeah am guitar n bass player so i switch instruments often, sumtimes halfway thru a gig, so the long neck is a slightly bit turnoff as i may need to adjust to it. Ill try it out tho with an open mind,..

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Beast has more of a modern jazz tone and if you are looking for a good smooth jazz tone, it's got it IMO. For a passive instrument it's pretty versatile. The 4-string version is actually a 34" scale. The 5-string is 35" scale and even it feels more like a shorter scale instrument to me.

5. chimaera1982

chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Humm its passive?, he advertised tt its active with barts preamp, n barts pickups, tt means its been upgraded then? Coz its a bit difficult to get info on this bass, as its been discontinued and not much info found on the net,..

6. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    pics pls, never heard of the beast before.

7. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
  8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    The Beast was a passive instrument that had Bartolini Designed Jazz pickups, Gotoh style tuners and a Hipshot bent plate bridge. The Grendel had an active 2-Band Bartolini preamp, the same pickups as the Beast, Hipshot Ultralite tuners, a Hipshot type B bridge and a flamed maple top. It sounds like the one that you're considering may have been upgraded.

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado