SOLD MTD Beast 5 String Fretless Active Bartolini

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Bass Thunder, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Bass Thunder

Bass Thunder Supporting Member

Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    “Hand crafted in the Czech Republic for Michael Tobias” - that’s what it says.

Apparently MTD Beasts were only made for a short period of time around 2001. This one has a low serial number so I would guess it was born around that time frame.
    However, it has changed and grown since then.

Our Beast has lost its frets and gone active while developing 4-conductor dual coil Bartolini soap bars instead of single coils. It's voice changed abruptly with a Bartolini NTMB 9v preamp and grew a knob in the process.

Also, this Beast outgrew the economy style tuners and bridge and now shoulders brand new smooth Gotoh tuners and new Hipshot A-style brass bridge to complete the end-to-end string experience. Beast also adopted knobs similar to its American cousins, in addition to the Bartolini and Hipshot traits.

This Beast still wears the African Wenge fretboard with pride and style - Newly refreshed to a flat and smooth 20 inch radius. Its later Korean-made siblings were forced to go rosewood and other types, so the wenge has a special place for this bass.

I didn’t do the de-fretting and its not factory (zero fret clue), but it looks well done. The fretboard lines have been filled with a wood tone filler. Because the lines are a very neutral color, they should satisfy both sides of the “lined fretless” debate (if they still do that these days). The open grain of wenge doesn’t allow for precision clean lines, but photos galore show exactly what its about - picture/thousand words etc.

This Beast is a player’s bass and not for collecting. As such, it has many signs of good times, but no gouges, indentations, or ugly scars (not even cool-looking scars, actually).

Lots of photos to detail condition.

Shipping additional $75 to CONUS PayPal confirmed address. Will ship to other confirmed US addresses for net additional cost.

Here’s the Specs
    • Color: black on black
    • Pickups: Dual coil Bartolini P25 Classic Bass neck and bridge
    • Preamp: Bartolini 4.5/918 2-band
    • Bridge: Hipshot A-Style Brass black
    • Controls: Vol/Blend/Bass/Treb
    • String Spacing: Adjustable 19 mm
    • Tuners: Gotoh (brand new, like this week)
    • Neck: Maple
    • Fretboard: Wenge 24 ‘frets’
    • Width at nut: 1.875in (1 7/8”)
    • Body: Poplar
    • Finish: Polyurethane
    • Weight: 9lb 4.8oz
    • Scale: 35 inch
    Notes

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
    31HZ, Rayjay, Outshined91 and 7 others like this.
  2. Bass Thunder

Price reduction

3. Rayjay

Rayjay If that’s even my real name..

Sep 27, 2014
    Lahaina, Maui, HI
    Awesome!! I’m in the middle of purchasing a house right now so I can’t spend any money on the books, but this is exactly what I’m looking for. Things are closing soon so I’ll check back in a few weeks. This is exactly what I’m looking for.

4. Bass Thunder

I understand completely. Good luck with closing escrow and moving.

5. Tom Baker

Tom Baker

Feb 3, 2016
    Austin, TX
    I had no idea these even existed

6. Bass Thunder

This is the only one like it, I'm sure.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021