1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD MTD Beast fretless 5 string

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by alfnz, Mar 20, 2018.

1. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Price:
    Strings:
    Fretless:
    • Y
    Hi everyone Im selling my 35” scale basses due to the stretch being a little much for me and have moved over to 32” and 33” scale….so up for sale is my beautiful 5 string fretless MTD Beast. Very rare and in excellent condition. These basses were produced by Mickael Tobias (after Gibson took over Tobias) and were made in the Czech Republic to his exact standards. They’re actually very nice basses and the only reason for selling is the 35” scale. Here are the specs:

• Poplar body

• 35” scale Maple neck w Wenge lined fretboard

• 19” bridge spacing

• 1 7/8 nut width

• Bartolini passive pole exposed pickups

• 9 lbs

• Excellent condition

FullSizeRender 3. FullSizeRender 2. FullSizeRender 4. FullSizeRender 5. FullSizeRender 7. FullSizeRender 8. FullSizeRender 10. FullSizeRender.

Mrmatt1972, smperry and AB Nate like this.
  2. feschyn

feschyn

Oct 10, 2004
    Factory fretless?

3. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Great question. I'm not sure. Ive seen another Fretless Beast w a lined wenge fretboard but Ive also seen fretless Beasts w ebonol boards. Ive also owned a fretless MTD Artist that came with an ebonol board (I think most MTD fretless non USA models came with ebonol boards, although I may be wrong). So im thinking it may have been converted to a fretless in the distant past, but I cant say for sure. If it was converted though, whoever did it, did a great job.

4. superflybass

superflybass Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    Beasts did have fretless models with wenge boards. Pop a ntmb preamp in it will be very close to a grendel

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    alfnz likes this.
  5. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Price drop! 525. shipped to conus

6. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Price drop! 495.00 shipped Conus....she needs a good home

7. irbass

irbass

Jun 16, 2011
    Charlotte - NC
    Nice bass

alfnz likes this.
  8. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Thanks irbass

9. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Price drop! 450. shipped CONUS

10. 31HZ

31HZ Supporting Member

Wow. :unsure:

alfnz likes this.
  11. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I just got a message from a fellow TB'r confirming that this is a conversion from a fretted bass to a fretless. He let me know what gives it away is the line at the "zero" fret, which factory fretless basses don't have....sure makes sense. Also, this would have a small effect on the intonation of the bass making the notes slightly sharp....or is it flat...either way I just wanted to make sure this was clear in the name of full disclosure. Thanks!

feschyn likes this.
  12. feschyn

feschyn

Oct 10, 2004
    I'm not a luthier but would venture this intonation issue could be remedied by relocating the front of the nut to where the zero fret was located. Not sure how much work would be involved to do this. My guess is that an experienced luthier could do this pretty easily.

alfnz likes this.
  13. Hercules

Hercules

Feb 13, 2016
    or just replace the zero fret?

alfnz and feschyn like this.
  14. If there's enough travel on the bridge saddles you may be able to move them enough to compensate.

alfnz likes this.
  15. alfnz

alfnz Supporting Member

May 3, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Just sold the MTD....thanks everybody!