Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD BEAST, I WANT TO KNOW HOW YOU RATE THEM?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FLYxONxDOPE, Apr 18, 2002.

1. FLYxONxDOPE

FLYxONxDOPE

Apr 18, 2002
    MTD BEAST ARE MADE IN CZECK REPUBLIC HAVE BARTILONI PICK UPS(NOT ACTIVE) BUT OVERALLY CONSRTUCTION WISE I LIKE THEM (THEY GOT PRETTY GROWLY SOUND) AND FROM WHAT I READ THE SOUND IS PRETTY SUSTAIN IF YOU HAD BAD HISTORY OR REMARKS ABOUT THE PICK UPS OR WHAT SO EVER, PLEASE REPLY. MTD HEIR, TOO. I GOT IBANEZ SR810 AND NEED SOMETHING WITH A LITTLE MORE PUNCH.

2. PLEASE DON'T SHOUT!

just so you are aware, it is okay to type in lower case letters here.

3. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

The Beast is a very nice bass (I've had three of them). Lots of punch - I don't slap but when I'd thump the strings it sounded massive. Nice and light and the sound made me a believer in poplar as a tone wood. The tuners were nothing to write home about and the plastic knobs cried out for replacement. Single coil noise. I highly recommend them (although I ended up with P-J basses).

4. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I played one for a few minutes (Thanks, Adrian:D) unplugged. I thought that it smoked!!! And, for the price, it's probably about the best deal on the market;) I couldn't believe how much the "B" string rang out, even unplugged!

5. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    if you get a good eal on a Beast- go for it!! they abosulutelky rock, and funk , and everything else-
    yo, RAM!! whatssup? when you coming back? and youre VERY welcome-

6. I agree with everyone above that the Beast's tone is SMOKIN'! Growl for days, even on the low B.

However, I just bought a used Beast 5 last month, and am now having to spend $$ to get the frets leveled because there's a hump in the neck on the treble side -- frets 11-15 stick up. If the hump can be compensated for by the fret level, I'll still feel the bass was worth it. However, if this doesn't work, I'll be extremely bummed, because the next step is pulling the frets and planing the fingerboard, which will set me back a couple hundred bucks. Then the Beast will not be such a bargain any more!

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Can't wait to come back! Last time was muy, muy expensivo! One of those guys I was with insisted on eating at restaurants like Rum Jungle and such while there. I spent 1/3 of my entire Vegas budget (including airfare and hotel) on food!:mad: Thus, it's probably no surprise I'm not traveling with him again!

Anyway, I've been telling my wife all about it and she can't wait to come out there with me! But, we've got a few other trips we need to take. I'd guess maybe next spring, but hopefully sooner.

That Beast really rocked, though! Can't wait to see the 635;)