Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Beast vs.Grendel 5 String

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by virtual.ray, Nov 9, 2000.

1. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Anyone have any gigging/recording experience with these?I'd really like some comparisons,a shop near me has one of each and I'm trying to decide if the Grendel is worth the extra dosh(around $500 more.)I may go with the Beast and drop a preamp in it later,'cause stock it's passive.Any input would be appreciated.

2. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    Hi V.R.
    Boy you can't go wrong with either. I bougth the Beast maneley because they are both the same bass except the preamp and maple veneer. Of course the finish is differnt too but the pearl paint option is really nice. The bass that I got has the maple fretboard which has a simi-gloss finish and is very nice. The quality throughout is exceptional, as good as many boutique bass's, better than some.I did very little set up, it just played so well rightout of the box. Now for the sound. I like passive pu's and these sound good, very little noise because the single coils are reverse wound so keep both pu's on and they are quite. Pots are very linear. If you like a Jazz configured bass you will love this one. For me the extra cost for the Grendel was'nt needed but that's me . If I decieded to change to active, the preamp is only $100 or so. I think you can find some cheaper if you look around. I won't sell this bass, no reason to. Can't say that about many I've had.
    I hope this helps and ejoy the hunt!

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Just to muddy the waters a bit more, there's an even lower priced MTD that's very nice, the new K5. Single MM pickup, passive, nice neck.

Have fun.

4. I've played on a Grendel 4 and 5 and they are really nice instruments, no experience of the Beast, though.

5. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    Thanks,guys,as of now I'm pretty sure I'm gonna go with the Beast.The one they've got has a nice Ivory finish that has a slight yellowing to it kind of like how old Fenders look after a few years.The only thing that bothers me about the K-5 is the one pickup and the consequent limitation of tonal options,otherwise it's a very cool bass with a better B than a lot of basses that cost 2 or 3 times it's price.

6. M J Stevens

M J Stevens

Nov 5, 2000
    V.R.
    Whats the price range where your buying your bass? and what fingerboard?

7. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The Grendel has a rosewood board and would be $1266,the Beast has a wenge board and is $750,and the K5 has a rosewood board and is $475.These prices include sales tax.

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I checked out a K5 with a Maple board that was pretty nice.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brad, I may have already asked this on another thread, but how convincing is the Stingray sound in the K5?

I can't justify $1300 for a Ray 5, but if I could get a bass that comes pretty close tonewise for $500, I COULD justify that.

10. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    How come the K model isn't listed on MTD's website??? :confused: