mtd: beast vs. grendel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pigpen02, Sep 26, 2002.

1. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    hi all, looking at a few basses for a possible purchase, and came across a beautiful pair of mtd's, a beast and a grendel. price is fairly similar for both, both are mint.

so, what are the pro's and cons of each, particularly in comparison? any difference in the electronics package? b string? anything at all?

2. Jugghaid

Jun 28, 2002
    Denver, CO, USA
    I used to have a Beast. The only difference between them is that the Grendel is active and has a slap contour switch. They both have the same exposed pole Barts in them.
  3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Didn't the Beasts also only come in solid colour finishes, whereas the Grendels had figured maple tops and bursts and stuff available?
  4. There is a difference, the Grendel has active electronics, the Beast passive. Otherwise they are similar, I agree with Oysterman, the finishes on the Grendels I saw were all natural. My Beast is pearl white and a great bass.
  5. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    The Grendel was higher-priced than the Beast; adding a special Bartolini preamp and laminated top (as already noted) and the bridge and maybe some of the other hardware was higher-grade, too.

I have a Beast 5 w/wenge fretboard, it's a nice bass.
  6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    same bass, except:
    different logo , the Grendel has a MOP logo -
    the Grendel came with a figured maple top- trans finish-
    the Grendel has an active Bartolini pre- with a preset mid switch- slap/flat /fingerstyle
    the grendel has the Bartolini style B bridge
    thats about it that i can think of- if the y are the same price- go with the Grendel- one with the MTD logo on the peghead preferably- if it says "Grendel " on the peghead, its an older one- still cool, but not as:D
  7. pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    aye, that's the one! beauty isn't she?
  8. If you're looking for a new one of either, and wanted to pick your color, I suggest this site.

You won't get a great price, but you do get selection. Both these models are hard to find, even on eBay.

I have a Beast 5 and just sold a Beast 4 and they just kick ass.
  9. I have a Beast 4 string fretless for sale.

See the gear for sale section.