MTD beast4 vs Warwick corvette proline 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chimaera1982, Dec 9, 2004.

1. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Its a fight between these two, 2nd hand priced the same at 650 USD equiv, i stay in Singapore, ill be hand trying the MTD beast 4, but the warwick corvette would brought in blindly? Which one u suggest? am open to any suggestions. The bass am thinking should be light, n the string spacing not too wide as am sharing the bass w my smaller sized girlfriend. Am thinking of smooth tones, bluesy n punchy, i play fingerstyle n slap once in a while. Which one u suggest?
  2. zevo

Nov 4, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I have the Warwick Proline. You can't go wrong with this bass. I love the look and the sound of the Bass.
    You can get this bass in Singapore as well? That's pretty cool.
  3. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Having never played an MTD bass I can't really offer an opinion of one, but I can say this about Warwick basses: I personally love 'em. I think they sound and play great. However, they seem to be a bit of an aquired taste, some people love 'em (like me) while others can't stand them. If you've never played one and don't have a chance to play this one you might be taking a bit of a gamble.
  4. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    well the only warwick i tried was a thumb4,.. nice bass in my opinion but the neck is very2 thick. My gf definitely cant play it,.. am hoping to corvettes neck would be smaller. N well both of em are equipped w jazz type pups so i presume its more smooth tone rather than the thick hums or j bass tone,.. the corvette if i do get it ill be bringing from abroad hence its a big gamble u see,..
  5. Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    I have had many Warwick basses. The ones I liked the most were the maple bodied ones like the Proline. Well made. While the neck isn't real thin - it is narrow at the nut which should help the smaller handed player. String spacing is good for slapping and with the jazz style pups - plenty of room to slap between pup and neck.
  6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I'd choose the Corvette. The necks won't be thin, but it's not that bad.

BTW what happened with the Streamer vs Spector?
  7. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    As someone else stated before me, you can't go wrong with a Corvette.

8. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Well the i couldn't get my hands on a good condition spector, the ones i tried in Singapore are in pretty bad shape. Tried the beast today, was totally blown by it, very sweet sounding bass in my opinion, n its darn light n the neck spacing its great for me. Tried it using an SWR head n stack, bright little bugger, does Jaco, n Marcus tone very well. Its been upgraded w barts 3 band, by the person, n has a 3 way switch for setting the eq of the mids, a nice idea that i like instant boost at a click.
    heres the photo, the guys letting go at 600 USD, coz of shipping to sing, n the upgrades. I told the guy to hold on till jan when i get my money, really high chance ill pull the trigger on this,.. my GF likes it as well. Its really bad tt i couldnt get a corvette to try for reference n since am bringing it in its a bit risky. But if i can try one locally i might change my mind if the tone n feel is better on the beast4..

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, Mike Tobias does very neat stuff - if you like it, then go with it. It's nicely upgraded, too (maybe a different preamp would've served it better...). The color is nice, too :cool:
    With the Warwick, you'd get a heavier body and a bit bigger neck, but also a bit different, growlier tone. Except if this has a wenge neck - but at the headstock I can see a slim yellow line, so it might be maple.
    Adjusting the bridge might take some time to get used to if this has the Feiten tuning system; and the bass might be too hi-fi or too bright for some situations. Other than that, nice catch.
  10. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    The fretboard is wenge but the neck is maple.Its a pretty bright n hifi sounding bass, as u said, but the eq is quite powerful i can get growl on it, not as much as a warwick tho, but it should be growly enuff for me. Umm how come u say the bridge adjustment will be a bit different ? am sorry but am not really familiar w the buzz feiten tuning system beside the claim tt it intonates perfectly on ll fret positions or sumthing like tt? N yeah the 3 band bart pream upgrade wat u suggest will be better? Am very2 new to bass, ive been playing em for less than a year but am a g**** for a long time n always dabbled in bass. My previous bass is a fender mex precision w emg pup.
  11. I think you'll be happy with the MTD...about a year ago I played its twin with a pearl white paint job, and decided not to buy it for $350 US because I'm an idiot. I've spoken with Mike Tobias, really nice guy who made a good decision to work with Czech luthiers, a decision which yielded this bass.
    Not sure why the current owner installed the preamp the way he did--those knobs are kind of close together, aren't they?--but lots of folks are happy with Bartolini. If you don't like it, the Aguilar OBP-1 might bring you closer to that Marcus sound. The guy putting them out designed the circuit in those Sadowsky basses everybody raves about here, if memory serves.
  12. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    Wah 350 USD? Tts a steal man, i wish in singapore we'll be able to get those kinda prices, bass gear are very very expensive n rare too. I heard like there are only to MTDs arouond here, the beast am getting n another guy with a 635. Ithink coz its the public perception here, in Singapore theres only yamaha, ibanez or fender bass,.. the rest not counted,...
    Yeah the controls are a bit cramped but in real life its not as bad as what the photo shows. I need an amp to pair up with the beast 4. I tried it using SWR the black beauty? sumthing head n stack (sorry am not very well versed bass amp). It has a very hifi sound to it but its a bit too treble n cut for me. I was thinking of pairing it with an ampeg, most probably BA112, coz its warmth, n darker sounds will compensate for it? is this a good idea?
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Was the beast discontinued?
  14. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I had a Beast 5 string for a while, and I'd grab the Warwick in a heartbeat. The Beast just didn't have the attack I like. No thump, no bite. Every Warwick I've played has been quick, with a nice, prominent attack. Maybe the pre on the one in question would help with this, I don't know.

However, as has been pointed out, Warwicks tend to be heavy and chunky, and the Beast might be more playable for the gf.
  15. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    That Beast looks like a great bass. The upgrades are really nice. If it sounds the way you like it and feels good to play, I'd grab it. I have a Warwick Corvette and am a female and would never consider it as a main bass. I wouldn't dream of playing it standing up for more than one tune, for example. The neck is quite chunky, but I like the flat fretboard. I think for a main bass, the Beast will do you better. It seems like there is more variety in tone. The Warwick tone is great, but limited compared to a good eq and upscaled pickups.
  16. chimaera1982

Nov 7, 2004
    I guess its gonna be the beast4 for sure. Thanks for all ur input i really appreciate it. Thanks man,...
  17. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002