Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD--Case ME, Case my Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RichBriere, May 3, 2003.

1. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Greetings MTD-O-philes,

Picked up my new 535 yesterday and used it last night......OH MAMA!!! :D

Cases for the basses: My 435 has the stock brown hardshell case and I've been happy with it. On the 535, I elected to go with the soft black bag/case. To those who've had them, how do you like them? They seem wonderful and much less clunky.

"Cases" for ME! Here's a scoop for you folks that pay attention and act quickly. While I was at Mike's shop the UPS man arrived with a small box of very cool MTD Denim jackets. A BIG, RED MTD embroidered logo absolutely glows off of the back. Mike only got a few of them and they're $99. BTW, he got a couple of BIG sizes, too. If you're a MTD NUT, you can EMAIL, (no phone calls please as there are NO operators standing by) your order to Mike and he'll send them to the first guys who hit his mailbox. I'm trying to get him to do some golf/polo shirts...........

Gotta Run......my 535 is in need of some tender caressing. Good luck on YOUR cases!

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

C'mon, Rich good buddy, you know the rules: PICTURES! :)

I love all my fivers, but my 535 is incredible. It's a beauty to look at, and playability is second to none... it's like Mike built it just for my hands.

I use hardcases only. That might change when I get my D.Huff Zero-5.

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Congrats on the new 535!

:D

...remind me to post pix of my one-and-only MTD logo'd leather jacket!

:cool:

4. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Not Fair! Not Fair! :D

Gard, not that I wish anything awful to happen to you....being hit by a truck or anything...but would you mind leaving the jacket to me in your will?

(Rich goes out to his BIG Peterbuilt 18 wheeler and heads for Florida....he, he, he) :^>)

Gard.......the 535 was my "mid-life/just-divorced/now-unemployed-on-top-of-it-all" crisis bass. :^>)

I figure that if you're gonna have a crisis of THAT caliber, you might as well get yourself a "headache reliever" of that caliber as well. This bass was well worth the wait. What a beauty!

Still looking to trade my "as-new" Roscoe Beck and come up with a Sting Ray 5. Keep me in mind my friend.

RB

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I gotta tell ya, it was not an "officially sanctioned" jacket, a mutual friend here in Orlando (Mike's hometown) did one as a demo for Mike, and I snagged it when he stopped by the shop with it. I hope Mike does something with them, cuz they'd be very cool lookin', red & gold thread logo.

The sad thing is that down here I don't get to wear it very often! It's already pushin' 90 outside :p :(

6. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Well Gard, it's 27 degrees here............brrrrrrrr. Boy, I sure do wish I had a leather jacket to keep me warm. Brrrrrrrrr! :eek:

RB

7. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    phew man thats one hell of a bass!

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Those jackets sound very cool. I'd be very interested in the an MTD logo Polo-style shirt. You can pretty much wear short-sleeve shirts all year-round down here.

9. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Nice burl top! OK, now give us the run down... What woods were used for the fingerboard, neck, body and body top? How's she sound tone wise?

10. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    #3 has gotta be the one!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Fantastic. Thanks, Rich... and congrats!

12. Thats a beautiful bass. Congratulations. Mike gets better and better at it.

The Koa Fretless 535 he recently made for me is by far the nicest bass I've ever had my hands on. I love it more each time I play it. Magical.

[​IMG]

I like the new lightweight cases better than the old brown clunkers. I still use a more compact gig bag for day to day.

I'll be at Mike's place next week, bringing him my old #700 zebra/wenge for an electronics update.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the tip about the jackets.

Aloha,

Jonathan

13. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Rich,

VERY NICE 535!!!

Just a question, did you get the ultra light case or the gig bag? If you got the bag was it made by Mooradian? My MTD gig bag is a Mooradian and I was just curious if that was the standard bag or if Mike was using different bag makers.

14. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I seem to be experiencing technical difficulties in trying to upload a pic of the jacket. Should you wish to see that.......... http://www.richbriere.com/mtd_basses.htm

I got the lite case. Seems great!

As far as woods, it's a maple burl top on avadore. Sprinkled into the top is a secret combination of Raisin Bran and Frosted Mini Wheats. Wenge neck........matching cap. It's a dream! :^>)

15. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It seems that a lot of builders are going to that case. I got one of those with my Sadowsky. And that's all that Keith Roscoe offers. They are a much better alternative to plywood box with tolex IMHO.

My 535 has a maple neck with rosewood. I've always wondered if the wenge setup might be a bit heavier. Wenge is such a heavy wood but I understand that the tone is to die for. It sure looks classy.;)

16. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Jerry........I'll be the first to admit that when I picked up a bass with a wenge neck, I had NO CLUE what the wood was. After getting the wenge on my 435, however, I KNEW that I had no choice but to get it on my 535. I honestly haven't found it to be heavy at all.

Coming from a long line of maple and rosewood combinations, I didn't really know what the difference would be or exactly what to expect. Had I been in a store and tried it, I, quite probably, wouldn't have gone that way because I'm not a risk taker. When Michael "suggests" that I give something a try..........I listen. :^>) I can tell you that these necks are exceptional and that I'm going to be MUCH more open to "alternative" woods in the future.

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

17. WinterBass

WinterBass

May 19, 2002
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Endorsing Artist: MTD
    Beautiful Bass! Congratulations.

I kept my 535 in the the same case, but found it to be too awkward for daily "shlepping". I now use a reunion blues bag for most gigs. If I know that I will be traveling with others in a van or bus, I use the heavier/ridgid case.

Good Luck!

18. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I used a double pouch gigbag once. Put it on the back seat of my car....drove five miles......took it out and had a bent tuning peg.........on a great bass.

Speaking of a great bass. I've now had the NEW 535 for a weekend..........and I can't believe how cool this instrument is. Which brings up another question for you folks. Are high-end basses ACTUALLY MUCH more beautiful than high-end guitars.............or is it just my imagination? :^>)

BTW: I understand that Mike is blowing through those new MTD jackets. Since it appears that there might be a bit of confusion........DON'T send ME requests for the jackets. I'm just the "squealing messenger" who wanted TalkBass members to get a heads up BEFORE word hit the street and they vanished before we could get them. Email your requests directly to Mike and hope that you're not too late. :^>)

Bass-ically Yours,
    RB

19. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY

Jonathan.....that KOA bass is soooooo beautiful that there should be a law against it! :D
    We should do a "coffee-table" book of MTD basses.
    RB

20. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Rich, funny that you should mention something about coffee tables in reference to Johnathan's bass.:)