Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Content: Going from the Stock Bart 3 band Pre to an Aguilar Vari 3 band Pre?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 17, 2005.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    cmon,

somebody must have done it. ;)

what sort of diff will i experience?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I did play an MTD with aguilar preamp in it, I didn't notice a huge difference.

Is there something you're looking to achieve with this, or just curious? :)

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That doesnt sound liek too drastic of a change to me. if i were to change it, id put in a Demeter :)

4. Dave Avenius did it to his bass. Check with him. It sounded like it brought a little more focus to the wenge neck tone--a little less growl and more clarity.

5. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    well you wont have as much "jazz" growl and those mid lows wont be there as much but it'll be more of a moderen hi-fi tone...we've had alot of aguliar bart posts n the barts always get the "jazz" tone w/ the growls and all while the agu. gets more of the "P" smoothness and punch it's not very apperant but if you're a tone freak n notice anything lil it'll be close 2 night and day at least it was for me

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    in certain basses with stock preamps, yes. But the Bart preamp in the MTD is a custom, not stock, one. So it doesn't have the typical muted high end. That's why, in my opinion, there
    wouldn't be that much difference between the two.

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    so i guess the difference wont be much?

i'm just not digging the lows knob. the taper seems to be a little "dramatc" shall we say. incremental turns dont do much, but then there's a certain point, where it'll suddenly bloom with too much bass. hoping to fix that.

8. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I know what you're saying. With the aguilar, a little bass boost will go a long way. If that's the difference you're looking for, maybe it's what you need.

9. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    A lot of Barts have 2 capacitors right on the bass pot and changing those values can change your response curve. Maybe you can tune yours to taste?

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    This drives me crazy with the Bart preamps! It does it on all of them, and I can't see for the life of me why anyone would design it to do such a thing.

11. jsorvik

jsorvik

Mar 22, 2000
    Just another note. . . it used to be (and maybe still is) that the MTD basses used a 2 battery +/- 9V system with active Bartolini pickups with a +/- 9V requirement. Is that still true on your bass? If so, it may have an impact on how you wire the thing.

On the other hand, if you do have a +/- 9V preamp and you decide to swap it out for Aguilar, let me know, I might be interested in buying your old preamp.

I got stiffed by a an online seller that sold me his MTD pickups without letting me know about their "special needs." Mike Tobias, (who gives incredible service, BTW) helped me design a cirucit that allows me to use the pickups, but now I would have to have 3 9V batteries, more routing for battery boxes, etc. etc. . .

Just a thought to check out.

12. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I did this with my MTD 635 ( b4 I sold her),and I felt that the Bart" pre was alot more musical than the Aggie op3. The Aggie was very Ballsy" to say the least,but the highs were not that clean,and if anything they were harsh so I put the Bart pre back in it.

13. I don't hear that on my MTD at all. The bass taper is one of the smoothest I've ever experienced. That custom preamp and those unusual active Bartolini pickups are so inherent to the unique sound of that instrument that I can't see messing with it.

Also, if you are talking about the OB-3... I find the treble point (6.5K) on that preamp so high as to be not very usefull except for cutting treble. It just doesn't give you that nice, full treble grind and pop compared to the more standard 4K like the OB-1 and the Sadowsky. The MTD treble freq is very high also, but just seems to have a lot more balls to it than the OB-3 IMO

The MTD sound is very wide and at the same time brutally articulate, especially with the wenge neck and board, and tends to not only uncover issues with technique, but also with rigs. The preamp on the MTD can be a rig destroyer... the lows are very low, and the treble is very wide and aggressive. They can sound very bad through some rigs... absolutely fabulous through others IMO

14. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I agree about the bass boost on the Bart preamp, it's not my favourite. I also agree that the obp-3 treble is a bit harsh.

I'm going to be trying out an Audere preamp in mine in the next week, I'll report back.

15. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Audere pre...never heard of them. Is it a 3-band?

16. Are you talking about the stock Bart pre's or the MTD pre that is a very customized Bart pre. I do agree on the general Bart pre, but the MTD pre sounds nothing like a Bart to me (even though Bart manufacters it for Michael). I don't think IMO that anyone could identify either the pickups or the pre in the USA MTD's as Barts unless they were told.... the sound is totally unique and different.

17. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I can't imagine swapping out anything on the MTD. There are very few basses I'd describe as "perfect" at what they do, and the MTD is one of them.

18. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    nice!

hmm... might it be too late to ask opinions about the Demeter pre?

19. I just can't imagine anyone messing with that wonderfully intergrated MTD electronics package that so much defines the sound of the bass. :confused:

However.... rock on if that's what floats your boat!

20. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    eh,

would i be so sacrilegious to think about putting a sadowsky in there? :bag: