1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD customer service

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Blues Bass 2, Dec 24, 2006.

1. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I got a KZ5 in a trade from another TBer a few weeks ago.I've been loving the feel and playability but the tone has been the best part for me.The only thing I didn't like was the G string output was much lower than the other strings,when I played it with my band I couldn't hear the notes at all.Since I didn't get it from a dealer I was kind of stumped on what to do about it,I didn't want to sell or trade it and I didn't want to put different pickups in it either.

I went to the MTD site and E mailed them with my problem on a Friday about 5 in the afternoon.Michael Tobias E mailed me 20 minutes later with some suggestions of what could be wrong.I tried his suggestions like pickup height and panning between the pickups to make sure both were having the same problen and determined that the pickups were the culprit.Michael had said a few KZ5s had been shipped with the 4 string pickups so this made sense to me.I Emailed him back around 8:30 that Friday night with the thought they would get back to me on Monday.He got back to me a half hour later and said just ship the bass to them and they would put the pickups in.I was floored that he would be answering E mails way after buisness hours and feeling a little guilty about bothering him on his own time.

Instead of shipping the bass I had him send me a pair of the 5 string pickups and I got them and installed them a couple days ago.This bass sounds incredible now.Hats off to Michael Tobias,unbelievable service.I've never met anyone who tried harder to satify his customers.

If you think your KZ5 might have this problem it isn't a subtle difference in string volume between the g string and the others,it's a big difference.I don't want to start a flood of basses going back,he said it was just a few of them,I just wanted to say what a great guy Michael Tobias is.I'm a very happy MTD owner now.

2. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Good to hear. When I read the thread title, I was 100% sure that it would be a positive expeirience.

3. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    All that and you weren't even the original owner? That's impressive. :)

4. Lordcliff

Lordcliff Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I got a MTD Beast off of ebay a few years ago, the trust rod cover had been replaced with a balsa wood replacment (worked fine, but looked out of place on an all black bass). Not haveing any from the Beast series parts anymore, he sent me several different ones from the Grendel, and Saratoga series...none of them fit right, but I still was astounded to have the Man himself take care of this problem, for someone who got one of his basses used off of ebay. That's pretty awesome.

5. Awesome story. Then again, it's not that surprising considering Tobias' amazing reputation as a great builder and all-around good guy!! :)

6. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    That's just the way he is!! An A1 guy!!!!!

7. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've had a similar experience with MTD. A fast and personalized response and straight from the man himself. MTD is highly recommended.

8. 1kinal

1kinal

Jan 18, 2006
    Montreal, Qc. Canada
    Endorsing Artist: SIT strings
    The good thing about MTD is that Mike will offer the same service no matter if you bought a $3000 American-made or a $300 Kingston from Musician's Friend.

I know Mike and to him it makes no difference. As soon as you have his name on the headstock you'll be taken care of.

Regarding email answering, it seems like he never sleeps! I've also seen that even when he's not at home he finds a way to answer emails a few times a day.

(I think that) just like Ken Smith (and probably others), he wants the customer to deal directly with him to be sure of his total satisfaction.

Mike is definately one of the best and that's one of the reason I play MTD's.

9. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I sure do like to hear about great customer service experiences! Mike Tobias sure does seem like a stand up guy.

10. Obese Chess

Obese Chess I'm Your New Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    -applause-

Someone should start a mega thread for "Companies with AWESOME customer service".

11. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Mike is AWESOME. I had a problem with my first MTD 535. I sent it to Mike, and he said I'm too picky. He's right! But, he also said he'd build me a replacement, whatever I wanted, FREE. Now that is customer service. This was some 5 years ago, I think. I still have that replacement 535, so that also has to say something.

12. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    I've also emailed Mike a couple of times about used MTDs I was thinking of buying and he was incredibly helpful, even if, again, no money would end up in his pocket. Seems like a guy who enjoys what he's doing. This kind of customer service makes you want to own an MTD - same goes for Schroeder to me, I would find it hard to own cabs of another brand cause I've been spoilt by Jorg's customer support.

13. TheApostlePaul

TheApostlePaul

Dec 20, 2006
    That is amazing customer service. I am very impressed.

14. I've had the same experiences with him about problems with my Heir. He is nothing but a quality person. Wish more retailers were like him.

15. I once brought my MTD Grendel to a local shop, and has them do work, not wanting to bother Mr Tobias for a simple adjustment

Someway or another I found myself out at his shop and I told him about the work they did and he looked at me, dissapointed, and said. "Sam, you bring your BASSES to me! No one else"

16. Just wanted to bump up this thread!

I've sent my Saratoga back to him twice. The first time was to be rewired to chase down an electrical gremlin, and the 2nd time was to level and refret a slightly wavy board. Both times were considered warranty jobs since the bass was under a year old. Both experiences were unexpected and wonderfully over-the-top. My bass sounds absolutely wonderful and plays insanely low (as Mike himself said).

Like my t-shirt says... "MTD 4 LYFE"

17. Virgil

Virgil She's My Inspiration Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2005
    Dresher, Pa.
    I laughed when I read this thread because I thought I was somebody special...I really did. I have told a hundred bass players here in Philly how this man treats me like a king. I never knew he treated everybody like kings and queens. I did not have a problem with my bass, I didn't like the effect the ebony fingerboard had on my tone. He made me a new neck. He also sent me NAMM tickets, and treated me to dinner at NAMM. Mind you, I am a nobody in the industry, yet he treated me as if I was Andrew Gouche. I may have other basses, but my MTD will always be with me.

Attached Files:

18. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yep, another thumbs up for Mike. He is a super nice guy.

He's like the Santa Claus of bass builders, all nice and warm, with a long and white beard, building incredible musical toys from the North. . .

19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, Michael was a great guy even before he became the Tobias guy. I only had a couple dealings with him back when he had a repair shop in Orlando but he was great.

20. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    Just another "Mike is awesome" comment. I'm picky not just about my gear, but about the company and people behind it. He really does stand behind everything with his name on it, which is very reassuring and certainly a factor when deciding who to shell out big bucks to for a high end bass; I don't like the idea of handing my money over to jerks. I know, I pay taxes, but where there's actually a choice...