Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD, F-bass and Roscoe

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by supernaut, Aug 4, 2003.

1. I am looking into getting a real high end bass. for all my bass playing life I have been playing fender style stuff like Lakland, G&L and fender. I am looking for something different. from just looking and reading about things over the net I really like the MTD 535, the Roscoe LG3005 and the Fbass BN5. I have not played any of these so I am looking for people who have had expiearence with these basses and could give me an idea of their general vibe and how they might compare. and if you prefer one over the other. thanks.

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    where's adrian garcia at? :D

3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Well...as far as my understanding goes, the MTD is more modern sounding, F bass has a fender jazz vibe and the Roscoe is more similar to the Fender P sound...I could be wrong because most of my experience is limited to the F bass even though I have played them all at least a few times.

Personally I'd go with the F bass. And yeah...I'd contact Adrian Garcia of Access Bass. He would be the perfect retailer to help you out.

4. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    Yeah, talk with that guy.

5. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI!

I've had all three. I've had 3 different F's, 4 different Roscoes, and an MTD. I liked the way the MTD played but found it not to my liking in tone. Roscoe's are great. I prefer them with the 3 band eq. F's are my fav of the 3. 34.5 inch scale, tons of tone possibilities, generally light in weight, play nice, look great. They all have a wide string spacing, great workmanship, easy playability. I don't know what you'd like the best. You should do your best to try all three. All are wonderful. You can't lose either way. Best of luck in your search. Click on http://www.basscentral.com They are great to work with and will probably be able to help with all three. They are big MTD fans and also carry Roscoes and some F's.

Rob

6. if you're buying new, there'll be a bit of a price difference i would think. for the money, the roscoe is the winner hands down IMO. if i were in your shoes, i would buy a used roscoe 5 string for $1400-1500 (if you can find one) and be happy. :) first make sure you're cool with the 35" scale, though. i personally dig the tone of the roscoes but the 35" scale doesn't play nice with me for some reason..

7. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I can't speak about the Roscoe,and F bass however I can shed some light on the MTD.It does have a type of high fi type modern sound if you get the one that has a Wenge neck/fretboard but my 635 has a Maple neck/Rosewood Fretboard and it truly can sound like a Jazz(besides it's outstanding playabiliti this was one of the main reasons why I bought it)but yet it can also get that pre Gibson Tobias sound also.Is it pricey ? for sure,but owning one is Priceless.:oops:

8. thanks for the responses. that at least gives me an idea of the basses. I know there is a huge amount of other stuff out there as well, so I am definetly going to try and play as much as I can before I make my decision. and I am in no hurry so that always helps. I live in Portland, OR but am going to make a trip up to seattle so I will check out Bass North West and there are a few other shops up there that carry more high end stuff.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    I am here- and I can be reached at 1 800 361 9927 -
    thanks for suggesting me, fellas!!

however, in a nutshell:
    MTD- modern tone,, made by a legend, many different tone flavors since he uses many different woods
    Roscoe - I dont rally hear the P bass thing- it is a modern, meaty tone- GREAT finger sound- the slap sound is not fendery but tigher and more modern-
    best lo B i have played yet-
    F Bass - Jazz bass on STEROIDS!!
    34.5 scale is very comfortable- growl for weeks. Great slap bass- very organic-
    but we are all different- email me and ill send you mp3s of all three- peace!- Adrian

10. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Like I said, I could be wrong! :D

11. Whappo Grande

Whappo Grande

Feb 9, 2002
    Santa Clara, CA.
    Manager: AccuGroove Speakers
    I've owned the F Bass & Roscoe & both are outstanding gear! The MTD is also an amazing bass that I want to have in my tool box.

In my humble opinion, it's a win/win situation. With any of these, you would end up with an incredible bass that should leave you completely satisfied. Between the three, it boils down to personal taste based on playability, tone, versatility & appearance.

PS I agree with Adrian, the Roscoe "does not" sound like a P bass. This was started in the Bass Player Mag. where they had a 5 string shoot out. They called the Roscoe a P Bass on steroids.

12. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Hey Adrian, can you send me your MP3, also? :D

I've got a BN5 and an MTD535. Plus I've spent a considerable amount of time with the Roscoes. I personally think that Adrian nailed the rundown on the basses.

13. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Jared, sorry, man- I wasn't trying to discredit you- i was pretty much referring to other places where i have read and heard that Roscoes have a P bass vibe and to me they really don't at all-
    I mean, when you solo the neck pickup- it's not ny P Bassier than most basses with the neck pup soloed-
    Jerry - email me at info@accessbass.com so i have your address to email the mp3's to- or better yet- I will upload them to my site and come back with a URL tomorrow-
    Mark- your Ritter is exquisite! I know you only own the very best.

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Supernaut,

there's nothing under location under your avatar. We're do you live? cause if you're near Las Vegas, you gotta check out Adrian Garcia's stock. LOL!!! yeah, he's pretty popular around here.

In all seriousness, he knows his stuff and can surely help you.

I own an F Bass BN5 and an MTD 535. I've tried one Roscoe - it's a great sounding bass, but it didn't turn me on. A search of this forum for posts on the F Bass and the 535 will disclose a pretty clear picture of what these basses sound like. Adrian's mp3s will also help. also check out the Alain Caron web site. the samples there will also give you an idea of what an F sounds like.

In the final analysis, it really comes down to individual taste. you need to sort things out yourself and decide what's best for you.

15. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    You should try the up and coming luthiers like Benavente and Nordstrand....Adrian has connection to both of these guys! I have tried MTD, F bass and Roscoe. I'm staying with these new guys!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I've owned a couple of Roscoes, an LG-3005 and SKB-3007. The 7 didn't sound like a P bass but I can understand the P description on the LG. It was the opposite of a J bass sound, very thick and meaty. Excellent bass for fingerstyle IMO and maybe if I had put some super light strings on it I might've been happier with the slap sound. The SKB 7 was excellent, with that low B that I've come to take for granted on Roscoes:D

I currently own an F Bass Studio and MTD 635. The F Bass Studio still floors me every time I pick it up. Easily at the top of the heap when it comes to super jazzes, just an all around great playing and sounding bass. Seriously, great. Unfortunately I think the Studio model has been discontinued, I have no idea why.

The MTD 635 is one of those basses that has me grinning even after I put it down;). A very unique overall vibe, it just carves out a gigantic space in the mix, playability is amongst the best I've seen. IME it lets a lot of "you" come out in it's tonality. I've seen countless people comment on it's brightness, I don't like really bright basses and this one does the trick for me. Hmmm...

Depending on your ergonomic and sonic needs, any of these basses might do the trick for you. I agree, some other newer builders are doing great stuff but that doesn't diminish what these three bring to the table, not one bit IMO.

[​IMG]

17. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    When I was auditioning hi-end basses Roscoe was one of the few I missed but I did have several opportunities to look very closely at MTD and FBass.You won't go wrong with either. They are both magnificent.At that end of the bass world there are more similarities than differences (all other things equal ie: body wood, neck wood, FB and pickups). I would have been happy with either and I'm positive I would have been equally happy with the Roscoe.
    Anyway your choice will be the one that "fits" or "calls" you slightly more than the others.Between the FBass and thee MTD I would have chosen the MTD.

18. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2002
    Philadelphia
    OK now i'm going to disagree with everyone!!

:D :p

My roscoe's specs Buckeye Burl top, 6 sring, spanish cedar body, spalted purple heart fretboard, 3BAND eq.

I switched the standard strings(forgot the brand, Adrian i'm sure you know :p) off of mine and replaced them with DR lo-riders, and i must say that not only does the bass get a great p-bass sound, you can get a more open slap sound out of it too! But mind you, this is mostly due to the 3-band eq. When i go with all neck pickup AND turn the treble down a bit, i get a VERY p-bass like tone, but its a little more punchy than any p-bass i've played. When i cut back the mids a little, turn up the treble and bass almost equally, and favor the bridge pu., i get more of a fenderish type of slap sound (very open and not compressed sounding.) And did i mention it sits in a mix like a fiend!?

I've played Fbasses as well, and i must say that both these basses are outstanding. But for the price, a rosoce is the no brainer. I would go as far to say that it's an equally high quality bass for nearly a thousand dollars less.

19. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    I currently have one of each, although only the Roscoe is fretted. I've also had 2 other Roscoes and an Fbass Studio 5. I agree with most of what's been said, especially the part about trying for yourself. I'm more in the Roscoe/MTD camp depending on the $ you have to spend. Where I differ from 95% of the bass playing community is that Fbasses have never done it for me because I've always felt they're a little light in the "booty" and that's what I personally think bass is all about.

Have fun in your journey :)

20. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I've never played an FBass, but I recently purchased a Roscoe SKB-3006 over an MTD 635. They are both great basses. I just liked the tone of the Roscoe a little more. The playability was different between the two, but it would be difficult to say that one was better than the other for me. I did play a number of both basses over a 12 month period.

As far as price, the Roscoe is without a doubt the most reasonable boutique bass out there. That made my pocket book feel better, but I would have saved longer if I wanted the more expensive bass.

Keith Roscoe is a great guy too. I just had the oportunity to meet him and tow of his guys. They showed me around the shop while I was on vacation in North Carolina. OK . I'm ranting... Good luck. You have a wonderful problem. Have fun picking.