Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD favorite wood combos

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Georges Abitbol, Feb 20, 2006.

1. Hi there,

I'm a very huge fan of MTD and I would like to know what are your favorite wood combos?

(I was looking for a similar topic but no results...)

2. MTD's sound VERY different depending on the woods used.

My favorite is the 'classic' MTD wood combo used in most of the early MTD basses (until wenge became harder to obtain).... a wenge/wenge neck/board with either a Tulipwood or light Swampash body and an exotic wood top (usually maple).... the 'Norm Stockton' tone that is most closely identified with the 'MTD Sound'.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I'm a big fan of the Myrtle/Tulipwood body and a Wenge/Wenge neck myself. Maple/Ash bodies are nice as well as are Maple/Mad Rosewood necks.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've liked all the ones I've played, but my favourite is the one I've had for the last 18 months - avadore body, maple neck. Still has that MTD crispness, but a bit warmer on the low end than ash ones I've tried.

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    As with most things, this is a matter of personal preference, and different wood combinations in MTD's certainly seem to make a very noticable difference. I really like my 435's combination of mahogany body, maple top, maple neck, ebony board, but after getting my chambered 535 (alder body, redwood top, maple neck, ebony board), I am very much in the "chambered" camp, when it comes to MTDs.

But really, it's a win/win situation, and ultimately a matter of personal preference.

Tom.

6. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    This guy....

[​IMG]

is (was to me) a tulipwood with a maple neck and RW board with a Myrtle top. Extremely clear tone and great sound, and seemed to be a sound that always set well in the mix. Great sounding bass, wish I could have held on to it.

7. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Georges Abitbol, l'homme le plus classe du monde :D

My vote here also for a wenge neck + tulipwood body. I had a maple/rosewood/ash 635 that I didn't like as much tonally speaking. I haven't tried the wenge neck with anything else than a tulipwood body though.

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    wenge/wenge neck, swamp ash body, redwood top.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    i have played a few, and so far, my favorite is also the " Norm Stockton" recipe, tulipwood body, myrtle top, wenge/wenge neck-
    a second choice would be an ash body ( my fave body wood on all other basses ) and a maple/maple neck - but Mike's tulipwood/myrtle/wenge basses are just fantastic.

10. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Kinda like... this? ;)

[​IMG]

11. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    showoff!!! :D

12. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    :bag: :D

13. Nice bass! I really do like the wenge neck models, and find that the tulipwood and swampash basses with wenge necks sound very similar. Also, I don't really think the top wood has a great impact on the tone... which is great... you can make the bass look like anything you want and keep that classic MTD sound. I really like the way the wenge necks provide that super upper treble sizzle but also a very growly lower mid response... I've never heard anything else like it with any other bass.

I also very much like the sound of the heavier ash, maple neck basses... but they don't have that sound that really identifies the bass as an 'MTD' IMO. That's not necessarily a bad thing, since the classic MTD sound is very 'over the top' and aggressive.

14. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    yeah, i would save my ash/maple jones for the Fender types ( Celinder, hint, hint! ) or the F basses i so love. If i were to go MTD again, the tulipwood/ wenge thing is what i would look for - and that top on Vics bass... that would be a winner.

15. Hello Adrian!

+1 on that... there are other basses that do the Fender thing better than the MTD with traditional (maple/ash) wood combination.

+! on Vic's top on his chambered. I had the pleasure of playing that bass... it plays and sounds great and looks even better in person. That top just shimmers and changes with viewing position... very cool. The chambered MTD's are very interesting... not quite sure how to describe them... very different than the 'classic' MTD sound... but with plenty of 'oomph' due to the powerful preamp. I would love to get one of those out on some gigs to really get a feel for what they can do. Tom B's chambered MTD is also very nice, and quite similar to Vic's... maybe a little darker sounding.

However, give me the 'Norm Stockton' sizzle!!!!

16. [​IMG]

Here's my trusty wenge/light swamp ash/quilted maple MTD. It's a relatively early one (serial number in the low 300's). I've had it a long time. I like the contrast of the light top wood and dark wenge neck, and the wenge tone plate that separates the top wood from the body.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I don't think I have seen that 535 of yours before, Ken. Man, it's one of the nicest I've seen. The contrast is really what makes the look. :D Any chance that you have that with you and can bring it this weekend? :)

18. I'm going to need to rent a truck when I come down to your place! :D I'll bring it along. I feel like I'm bringing crumbs to a banquet!

K

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Oh, sweet! I'm definitely stoked that you can bring that bass! And if I am asking you to bring too much, let me know, and we'll pare it down to just the really, really, really, really good stuff! :p

20. Joelc73

Joelc73 Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2000
    New York
    I'm a BIG MTD fan and I definiltey have my favorites but the good thing about Mike's basses is they all have that signature MTD shimmer on top.

A few of my favorites are Ash body (or Tulipwood) with a Wenge/Wenge neck or Ash body with a Rosewood board and Maple neck.

We recently had a killer Walnut bodied 635 with an Ash neck and Honduran Rosewood board that killed. I'm also really digging the Ash/Maple necks. Very open sounding with a really great feel to them.

I'm also probably partly guilty for the chambered MTD GAS that's been infecting so many of us lately. The chambered bodies really add another great flavor to the MTD voice. Tom B. and Vic have some great examples of that style.