Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD & Fender Question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lsu921, Dec 22, 2003.

1. lsu921

lsu921

Jun 6, 2003
    Addis, La
    I'm going to buy an inexpensive bass to leave at my church. I've narrowed it down to a $419 Fender Jazz bass in Musicians Friend or a $400 MTD Kingston. I own a Stingray, so this is just going to be something to play with a little, and to leave at church for the teens that play there sometimes. Plus some mornings, I just don't feel like packing the Ray! I'm not leaving my Stingray for them to play :spit: :D

I'd like to hear from anyone with experience with either of these two. Which do you think would be better? We play Contemporary Christian music. I won't have the opportunity to play either before hand as I would if it were going to be for me, so it will be a sight unseen thing.

I would appreciate any input! Thanks!

2. It's cheaper than either of the other two, and if something bad should happen to it, you're only out under $200.

Plus, you'll be used to the feel of it. :)

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not only is the Fender a little less "devilish-looking" :D , but it would also probably be a bit more versatile and traditional given the style of music you'll be playing.

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    The Fender Jazz, due to its tone. The Kingston is a fine bass, but there's more tonal depth to the Jazz.

5. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    For a 4 string, just grab an SX from Kurt at Rondo. That would be a bass not to cry over if dropped.
    It's a nice bass, but at a little over $100, it's not much to fret over.

My SX jazz fell over during a beak at practice(shoulda had it on a stand) and I just said "O well, glad that wasn't the Kingston".
    I don't beat my bass or anything, in fact, I think it looks quite sharp (black, tort. guard, maple fretboard), but I don't have much invested in it.

Frankly, I just wouldn't spend $400 on a back-up, leave-at-the-church-for-kids-to-joust-with Bass.

Get an SX for that.

K

6. Kelvin

Kelvin

Apr 30, 2000
    Singapore.
    I assume that leaving the bass at your church would serve to allow inspired pre-bassists (ha!) to fiddle around with.

At both branches of my church, we have Fender Jazz basses in the studio. All our bassists started on them, so we're quite familiar with the feel and tone and wouldn't have a problem picking one up.