MTD Grendel opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Hi. I did searches on this site and others, but didn't find huge amounts of info on these basses. I've been offered a Grendel 5 with an upgraded flame top and maple board in trade.

It looks as though people feel these are well-made basses, with a really Marcus-like, modern vibe -- not "warm" or "old-school," but high-quality.

This would suit me, as I'm mostly looking for a high-clarity "slap toy" type instrument.

I've never played a Grendel. Can anyone offer any insights?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Beast 4 & 5 which are the passive versions of the Grendel without the maple top. I've been very pleased with mine. The string spacing is nice and wide for a 5 but I wouldn't consider it just a "slap toy". It is pretty funky though. I'm currently adding the Grendel preamp to my Beast 5. I don't know what you are considering giving up for the Grendel 5 but it's definitely a bass that you should check out. It's a light weight very comfortable bass that performs like a much more expensive bass in my opinion.
  3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    J- you can hear a Grendel slap tone playning in my opening page- the slap tone on these is great! i have one for slae and have had no takers- which is sad, because they are great basses!!-
  4. Adrian,

That slap tone RULES! Somebody buy the man's bass!

Now I will be dying to get the Grendel. . .