Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Grendel opinions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jsonnenblick, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Hi. I did searches on this site and others, but didn't find huge amounts of info on these basses. I've been offered a Grendel 5 with an upgraded flame top and maple board in trade.

It looks as though people feel these are well-made basses, with a really Marcus-like, modern vibe -- not "warm" or "old-school," but high-quality.

This would suit me, as I'm mostly looking for a high-clarity "slap toy" type instrument.

I've never played a Grendel. Can anyone offer any insights?

Thanks.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I've got a Beast 4 & 5 which are the passive versions of the Grendel without the maple top. I've been very pleased with mine. The string spacing is nice and wide for a 5 but I wouldn't consider it just a "slap toy". It is pretty funky though. I'm currently adding the Grendel preamp to my Beast 5. I don't know what you are considering giving up for the Grendel 5 but it's definitely a bass that you should check out. It's a light weight very comfortable bass that performs like a much more expensive bass in my opinion.

3. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    J- you can hear a Grendel slap tone playning in my opening page- the slap tone on these is great! i have one for slae and have had no takers- which is sad, because they are great basses!!- www.access-bass.com
    Adrian

4. Adrian,

That slap tone RULES! Somebody buy the man's bass!

Now I will be dying to get the Grendel. . .