Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mtd grendel vs mim P ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tm3, Feb 27, 2002.

1. tm3

tm3

Oct 10, 2001
    north carolina
    apples vs oranges, right?

i was all set to get an mim P as my first bass ( i like that classic rock sound), and then along comes a deal on a new mtd grendel for $600. i figure as a beginner i probably won't appreciate much of a difference, but i'm a sucker for a deal. should i cough up an extra $250 for the grendel, or stick with the P?

thanks for the help!

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Yes, I think you should.

3. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Tom,

Is that you? If you can get a new Grendel for $600.00, I'd be all over that! Tell you what, if you don't want it, send me the information and I'll get it! ;)

The Grendel will be different from the P-Bass tonally. The quality of the Grendel is also much better. If you are the person that I think you are, what you'll be getting is a very nice bass with a flamed maple top, Schaller tuners, a Hipshot type A or type B bridge, passive Bartolini pickups and a Bartolini active preamp.

It's a jazz bass but a lot of good Classic Rock has been done on jazz basses. Noel Redding and Geddy Lee immediately come to mind. I'm sure that there are others. If you don't want it, I'll take it! :D

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    If he's not the person you're thinking of, will he get a walnut top instead? ;):D

5. tm3

tm3

Oct 10, 2001
    north carolina
    it's me, it's me!

bass playing plans got sidelined, but i'm back on track. ebozz, i definitely had you in mind anyway -- if i pass on the grendel it's yours. for a small finder's fee -- no, no, i'm kidding!

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Don't pass that deal up Tom! The Grendel is a very nice bass! Glad to have you back.

7. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I'd give him the hook-up for sure! ;)

8. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Hey, EBOZZZ is the PROFILER, he's 98% correct most of the times, hahahahahaha :p

grendel, yes very good very very good....

9. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Aw shucks! Now that you have revealed my secret indentity, how can I continue to fight for freedom, justice and most importantly, low prices on quality bass gear? :D