MTD Grendel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Noobai, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Alrighty guys, I seem to have found a nice deal. A 5 string Grendel for $800.

What I would like to know is, what is this bass? :)

Ive never played an MTD, and never even SEEN a Grendel.

What kind of tone is it? How flexible is the tone? String spacing? Comfortable to play? Hows the B?

Pros/Cons of owners?

Heres a pic :)
  2. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    This is MTD's affordable Jazz bass, made in the Czech Republic until recently. Flamed top and poplar body. The really early ones had wenge necks. The later ones do not. Bart bass and treble electronics, Bart exposed magnet Jazz pickups, and full, or close to full Jazz string spacing.
    $800 is a fair price.

A similar if not identical model named "Saratoga" is now being made in Korea.
  3. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA

More comments!

Also, anyone have some sound clips? Thx :)
  4. Ben Harper's bassist, whose name I forget, uses an American MTD whose tone is pretty similar to the Grendel. Call up a modern-rock stateion and request "Steal My Kisses" for illustration.
    The Grendel tone is raw, kinda growly and bright, with soft, tight lows. Sort of a modern tone laden with attitude. The B string is tight, in part due to the 35" scale and heavy bridge, but not woofer-busting fat.
    They're generally lightweight, balance well, have slim necks with J-type string spacing if memory serves (see above).
    It's worth a shot, but get a moneyback guarantee.
  5. Chris is close, but not quite right. $800 is a good price for a Grendel, by the way. The MTD Grendel and Beast were produced in the Czech Republic. The Beast is the less expensive of the two. The differences are that the Beast is not a flame finish (i.e. colors only) and has passive electronics. The Grendel is flamed and has active electronics. Aside from that, they are essentially the same. The Kingston, Heir & Saratoga are made in Korea and effectively replaced the Beast & Grendel.

I have, and am very happy with a Beast 5 and I used to own a 4. Mine has a maple neck and wenge fretboard and I love it. It also has Bartolini exposed pole pickups (meaning they don't say "Bartolini" on the pickup). The B is really fat, almost too fat at times. I have MTD strings on it, but might change to Rotosounds next set.

Great Bass... go 4 it
  6. The MTD Grendel, if I'm not mistaken, was replaced by the MTD Saratoga.
  7. Ahem!

Sorry for not being specific. The Kingston is effectively the Beast replacement except you have the single MM pickup in lieu of the jazz pair. The Heir is a Kingston with a jazz pickup in the neck position.

Chris is right about the Saratoga.
  8. bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have a Beast 5 also, wenge fretboard, a nice bass. Works really nice with a Sadowsky preamp.

Noobai, go on over to and ask Adrian about the Grendel - he used to sell and use them, and might still have some sound clips.
  9. Noobai

Aug 25, 2002
    Stanford, CA
    Cool, keep the comments coming. Thx! bump!
  10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    That's a steal of a price! They retailed for 2000 when they were being produced. People call this a budget bass, but it really wasn't. It's an awsome 5 string jazz bass with a very agressive and bright tone. Mine is a maple/maple neck, so it's even more bright than usual. The bass has Bart p-ups and a NTMB preamp with the variable mid switch. I also have a 535, and believe it or not, I like it better than the American. The bass is light and comfortable to play. The B is nice and not mushy at all. It's really a great bass! You'll love it.