Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mtd Heir 4

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by td1368, Apr 3, 2002.

1. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    Mike, I just recently got an Heir 4 but my wife took it until my birthday so I'm stuck to daydreaming.

Anyway I was wondering if you play the Heir stock or are there any modifications you would recomend?

I know some people have suggested modifying /upgrading the electronics. I believe the pickups are a non-standard size and a replacement would require routing. I didn't expect the maple top to look as good as it does so I'm reluctant to mess with it. Any info on the pickups or suggested electronic upgrades?

BTW I really enjoy checking out your forum.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Man, I checked out your profile -you gotta wait till June. That is just not fair.

I play mine stock. I have, on occasion, plut mine through an outboard preamp.

My last gig, I played it straight into a SWR Sm-500 and Goliath jr. - KILLER TONE!!!!!

I really like mine passive and have found little reason to modify it. That being said, if you are daydreaming, you might want to think about adding an onboard preamp such as the Aguilar OBP -1. The cavity on the heir is pretty big you might not have to do any alterations.

Also there is the Sadowsky or Fodera preamps.

Then again you can get an SWR SM-500 :D

Mike

3. td1368

td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    Philadelphia
    That SWR is one sweet setup. I can imagine how good it would sound.

I play through a sound board on my Sunday morning gig. Can't wait to hear how it sounds with the Heir. So an outboard preamp with a DI seems like the best bet.

Thanks for the response.