1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

MTD Heir 5 or Lakland 55-02??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToolRulez, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I finally have enough money to buy a new bass, but, as ever, I don't know wich one. At first I was sure about the Lakland but I saw the new MTD and I don't know wich one is better.

Does anyone have any experiences with these basses?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the 55-02!

3. I would tend to believe you'd be happiest with the 55-02, but I haven't played either. I do like the fact the 55-02 is made to the same specs as Lakland's American line (including the same Bartolini electronics), and I'd like the 3/4" string spacing.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I A/B'd the 55-02 ($1100) and an American made 55-95 ($3000) and was absolutely astonished at how close they were in quality and, above all, tone. I think Lakland's a bit nuts for doing this. Same sound and feel for a third of the price? I mean, it's awfully nice of them and all...:confused:

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have an MTD Beast and a Lakland 55-01. The Beast is really nice, but I find myself playing the Lakland all the time. So I vote Lakland.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

The Heir has 3/4" spacing too.

7. Sorry for the confusion. That was more a statement of personal preference that a difference between the two basses mentioned.:oops:

8. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    The new MTD Saratogas' are about the same price of the Lakland 55-02 right?:confused:

9. I have the 55-01 and I love it. The only thing I have a problem with is it was a bit heavey. I am adjusting to that tho. Other than that it is great.

So I would say if the lakland.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    not really a fair comparison since the Lakland costs twice as much as the Heir- i say you get more tonal variety with the Lakland- great, great bass, but i have had a couple of customers say the like the feel of the MTD better- again, BIG difference in price- now, add an equal preamp to the Heir and it becomes a fair comparison

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The neck on the MTDs is sooo sweet.