Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD Heir 5 or Lakland 55-02??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ToolRulez, Sep 4, 2002.

1. I finally have enough money to buy a new bass, but, as ever, I don't know wich one. At first I was sure about the Lakland but I saw the new MTD and I don't know wich one is better.

Does anyone have any experiences with these basses?

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Get the 55-02!

3. I would tend to believe you'd be happiest with the 55-02, but I haven't played either. I do like the fact the 55-02 is made to the same specs as Lakland's American line (including the same Bartolini electronics), and I'd like the 3/4" string spacing.

4. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I A/B'd the 55-02 ($1100) and an American made 55-95 ($3000) and was absolutely astonished at how close they were in quality and, above all, tone. I think Lakland's a bit nuts for doing this. Same sound and feel for a third of the price? I mean, it's awfully nice of them and all...:confused:

5. bben

bben

Feb 28, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    I have an MTD Beast and a Lakland 55-01. The Beast is really nice, but I find myself playing the Lakland all the time. So I vote Lakland.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Heir has 3/4" spacing too.

7. Sorry for the confusion. That was more a statement of personal preference that a difference between the two basses mentioned.:oops:

8. RyKnoz

RyKnoz

Dec 22, 2001
    NYC
    The new MTD Saratogas' are about the same price of the Lakland 55-02 right?:confused:

9. I have the 55-01 and I love it. The only thing I have a problem with is it was a bit heavey. I am adjusting to that tho. Other than that it is great.

So I would say if the lakland.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    not really a fair comparison since the Lakland costs twice as much as the Heir- i say you get more tonal variety with the Lakland- great, great bass, but i have had a couple of customers say the like the feel of the MTD better- again, BIG difference in price- now, add an equal preamp to the Heir and it becomes a fair comparison

11. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    The neck on the MTDs is sooo sweet.